How do I keep our new cat out of the Christmas tree?

We have a young cat (under a year old) who was a rescue kitten and still has a lot of feral ways about her. We haven't put up our Christmas tree yet, but I am dreading it because I'm sure she is going to climb it. Any suggestions for keeping her out of the tree? Thnx!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Haha!..I had 2 young cat's that were also rescued..they would always go and lie in my tree...there wasn't anything we could really do about it..they eventually stopped...
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 10:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Choose a balsam fir --the trunks have blisters of sap which cats hate, so they won't go near it. They smell the best, and have lovely blue-green needles that I think are a better look than the yellower varieties...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• invest in a cheap spray bottle from walmart...fill it with water and give the cat a light squirt when they go near the tree..my mothers cat was caught climbing up the middle of the tree several times one year..we got the water bottle and after a few good squirts she stopped good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• This is what works best in my house I leave the tree up for a day or two WITHOUT decorations on it and if my cats are going to climb or in general terrorize the tree it's within that time and DON"T bother with any breakable ornaments when you are decorating it because they will turn into cat toys.
    Anonymous

• they make a spray you can spray on the tree to keep cats off.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 6:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2009