Do you think Anti-War Protestors hurt troop morale?

A Saturday rally led by anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan at Travis Air Force Base nearly ended in a brawl when a military veteran physically confronted the protesters.

Anti-war group Code Pink demonstrated at the military base Saturday morning in the first of six planned protests against unmanned military drones currently in use in overseas war zones.

Sheehan, a well-known anti-war activist whose son was killed while serving in Iraq in 2004, was leading the demonstration with a megaphone when a man dressed in a formal military uniform stepped up to her and berated her.

The military veteran told reporters that he was upset with the anti-war protesters' effect on troop morale. "They ruin the troops. They get to the troops. They did the same thing in Vietnam," he said.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• get just a little more respect. I don't expect anyone to bow down to me for doing my duties, but I really think that the amount of disrespect and hatred towards servicemembers is uncalled for. Hate the war and government all you want. You think you can do better? Go ahead! I'm all for freedom of speech and expression, HELL, I AM DEFENDING IT!!! Just please do it in a more tactful manner. I feel like crying whenever someone comes up to me and thanks me for my service, because it's so nice to hear! I thank them for thanking me, as silly as that may sound. I know I'm not alone in this because many friends of mine have experienced this too. Way off point here, but anyway, I don't think anyone deserves to be mistreated. I look at everyone in the military as family, whether I've met them or not, and hearing about them getting disrespected and mistreated is really upsetting.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I believe it does hurt troop morale, a lot of war protestors bash our military.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Code Pink did this outside of an Air Force Base. That pisses me off... Do it in Washington to the ones MAKING the decisions. But don't do it outside the gates of a base where TROOP can hear the protest. This is the AF base my hubby was TDY and some college aged kids spit at him for walking into a grocery store with his uniform on.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• In my opinion, yes. But I think troops realize that this is a right that they and men and women like them have fought for. My hubby was a Marine, deployed twice. We never really talked about it, until one night and he was crushed when I spoke my opinions. I know for my hubby at least, the media coverage also has always been upsetting. He feels likes they only ever showed the bad.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 10:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You can love the soldiers and hate the mission.

You can learn more here: www.iava.org  

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

If 'you' loved the soldiers 'you' wouldn't protest outside of a military base... These airmen at Travis are FOLLOWING ORDERS.. Protesting outside of their base is intended to GET TO THEM... How does that serve the cause of being against the war??  It serves a cause to GET TO TROOP MORALE.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If you plan to rally outside the base, then message should be one of love and support for the troops, one of appreciation for their sacrifice and the hardship their families face. Families are on those bases too.

Why not have a rally to spend more $$ on caring for vets and less money on blowing people up? That's the America everyone wants to see. A rally to increase soldier benefits and bring them home would be awesome.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Let's put it in other terms. If you go to a restaurant and get bad service, who do you complain to? The server, or the manager? Telling the server may get you a small response (sorry), but going to the manager will net a better response that other's might not have to go through the bad service you received. If she doesn't like that we are at war, she should be going to the decision makers, not the one's sworn to follow orders.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My hubby was a Marine, deployed twice. We never really talked about it, until one night and he was crushed when I spoke my opinions.

so you're anti-military and your husband IS military? nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2009