Basket full of dollar store toys or one toy from a toy store?

I have a niece and nephew, aged 19 months and 2 1/2. We are trying to decide what to do for them for Christmas. I was think we could go to the dollar store and spend the equivalent of one toy ($15-20) on things like stuffed animals, foam puzzles, balls, baby doll accessories, that sort of thing and put them into a little basket that could double as a toy box. My husband wants to just get them one toy from a toy store or similar. I asked my sister in law and she said that they would be happy with either and then listed a few of their current interests. Which would you do or prefer?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Holidays

• dollar store toys generally don't hold up well- but you can get coloring books and stuff from there though...little ones are pretty hard on things so- I think I would get a better quality toy or two from somewhere else.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Dollar store toys are junk. I always end up tossing them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I would go or one nice toy. Dollar store toys dont hold up well
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i would say dollar store i mean kids that age they get a day or two out of the toy you have got your money out of it
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I would do the dollar store, the balls,coloring books,dress up items etc..are fine.
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 10:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I would go with one nice store. I say that because having three little kids we have so much little things, balls, coloring books, puzzles that more little things just add up. One nice toy equals less clutter and less to clean up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Another thought to consider: toys at the dollar store tend NOT to have the kinds of safety built in that people expect in North America --they tend to be made of brittle plastic and are often found to be lead-coated or are otherwise toxic, dangerous or breakable.

If you have a limited budget, I'd suggest taking a look at kids consignment stores and thrift stores: many used toys can easily be cleaned up to look much newer and excellent play value is available in old Lego just as it is in new Lego. Washed and put into a drawstring bag or new rubbermaid bin and they function and look like brand new... plus there's some older toys that are really not available any other way, like the original Little People stuff and older Playmobil sets.

Being the recipient of crappy toys was never pleasant and we always bought out kids quality over quantity. Many poor toys is not better than a few good ones.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Money or a gift card that way I can take the kids on an outing sometime in the year and the person giving the money/gift card has paid for it and the child gets to hand pick out what they get and tell the giver what their day was like. I tend to make a day out of their purchase if they get something like that, take them out someplace to eat and shop for that one special item after lots of browsing the isles.

The dollar stores near us are horrible with little to no selections and poorly made items (even the pencils suck). The ones we used to live near (in another state) were awesome and filled with lots of cool durable things, so I guess it would depend on what is offered at the dollar store. As for the toy store it can be very expensive and sometimes harder to pick out the right gift, but it's more often going to last longer than a dollar store purchase.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i would say dollar store because 1) its fun to see them open stuff 2) they get uninterested in stuff quick, so if they throw somethign aside, you won't feel bad it was a dollar
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I would say one nice toy from the toy store or like a pp suggested, a gift card so they can pick out what they want. I hate when my kids get stuff from the dollar store. It almost always breaks immediately and they usually get like one play out of it.

You could get a couple of less expensive things at like wal-mart. My daughter just turned 3 and really likes those princess Barbie Dolls that are like $7.50 a piece; you could get 2 of those! Also, we got CandyLand and Chutes and Ladders for $5 each.

Consignment store are also nice, got my kids some books, puzzles and a mini baking set from there for Christmas!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009