what would you do? I cant take anymore!

So, this month dh and I are so behind on bills! We had an emergency on the 15th that put us behind. Now we have 1400 dollars. 925 Due on rent 376 due on car payment (or it will get repoed) 100 dollars do on insurance, and we are already in the negative! We are OUT of grocerys except like 5 packs of ramen noodles. have 2 kids 6 years old and 13 mo. My younger brother living with us. No more money until the 15th. How the hell am I supposed to get grocerys and diapers? seriously? I am so tired of this crap!!!!!!! On the 15th we will have a surplus of money (a little) enough for food anyhow. It makes me really sad......I see moms talking about spending 100s on christmas presents (which is fine I understand) and I cant even freaking feed this family!!!!!!!!!!!! what would you do? We have nobody to borrow from........this does not happen that often but I dont know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in About CafeMom

• feed your fam 1st
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Can you apply for emergency food stamps? It would be help, and you could get back off them in a few months when everything's straightened out and you're back on your feet and out of the red financially.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I doubt they are going to give us emergency food stamps. (we may qualify but not for quick aid) I want to feed my family first but we have to hvae a car (or dh will not be able to go to work) and we have to have a home. Our family's are over 500 miles away!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• What would I do in this situation? I would in all seriousness, cut back on "luxury" items--cable/satellite subscription, get rid of cell phones--keep a bare bones land line phone. Sell anything I didn't need to a consignment or thrift store, and speak with your credit card companies about changing the due date to the 1st or 30th of the month (whichever you tend to have more money).

I'd send your brother home to your parents--why are you supporting him, when you can barely support your own family? As for groceries--you need to be a little more creative with simple bulk meals--eliminate fast food/ordering out. Whole chickens are cheaper than packaged cuts and cheaper than frozen/prepared/processed foods. Pasta and canned veggies are cheap. PB & J in bulk is cheaper than deli-meats and goes a long way. Casseroles are inexpensive and can be reheated easily just like home made soups.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Talk to your creditors.

Seriously. They want money, not your car... explain your situation and make a plan with them for paying them back. The longer you hide from them, the more aggressive they will become.

When you have finished talking to your creditors, and you have a little bit of breathing space, make a menu plan that uses inexpensive foods that are nutritious and filling. Generally, that means whole grains and uncooked beans and maybe making your own breads, low-priced cuts of meat, in season vegetables and fruits and lots of poultry and dairy. You'll get absolutely sick of looking at the 8 'cheap-enough' choices, and be seriously challenged to make interesting meals day after day from the same stuff... but you'll find it a whole lot more filling than the cheaper-looking crap like raman noodles that's just fat and salt and no vitamins or fibre.

Check out http://www.tightwad.com/ for many ideas on saving money.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i CANT send my brother home. Who has the money for that? I have him for good reason. No I cant send him home. Cable will be shut off, cell phone is prepaid so when its out of mins its out. There is no credit cards. I have NO money for any grocerys.............at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Your children don't need that much food. And you and your husband will need to cut corners for a while. It can be done. It's not easy, but if you look at your total monthly expenses--including little things like ordering pizza, going through the fast food drive thru, and other convenient but unnecessary things, you'll find a lot more available cash for the things you DO need.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• are you people reading the post???? there is NO money for grocerys..............let alone extras. We are having NO extras. We are trying to get the basics. The only bills I have to pay are NEEDED not extras. rent and carpayment. Thats it. This is not an every month thing this is odd, and very stressful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Sorry, just trying to help!

If you are the legal guardian of your little brother, then you should be given some sort of child support, right? If you have no money for food. Then you should apply for food stamps, WIC, welfare or go to your local Food Bank, or church or other charitable organization.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• there is NO money for grocerys..............let alone extras.

then get RID of your INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2009