How long does it take a 4 month old to catch on to eating????

we started off good now everything i put in his mouth he spits it right back at me. i have a 3 year old but i cant remember how long it took him.

Wyattsmom205

Asked by Wyattsmom205 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly at 4 months they most likely aren't even ready for solid foods. Is he sitting up on his own, unsupported? Can he pick up things with his thumb and first finger? Is he spitting food out or is his tongue thrusting still?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Wait until at least six months. You will find this website very useful: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I heard that you are supposed to wait until six months but if you start before and they spit out then they are not ready. Four months does seem a little young still so maybe try again in a few weeks.
    natvitty

Answer by natvitty at 11:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It took my first about 2 weeks to get used to cereal. I eventually had to mix some veggies with it for her to eat it.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Baby shouldn't have to "get used" to it... they should be eager about it! If he's pushing it out, he's telling you he's not ready. Stop, and wait for him to show you he's ready.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• He's not ready. Most 4 month olds aren't. My pediatrician says you can start to offer rice cereal from a spoon at 4.5 months. Offer is once every other day until your baby stops doing the tongue reflex that pushes food back out. My pediatrician says when this reflex stops, then and only then is your baby ready for solids.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You don't have to train them to not tongue-thrust their food out... It will stop when they are ready for solids... until then their tongue is designed to work a nipple and only a nipple.
    Anonymous

• Yes as others have said google tongue thrust reflex.
    Anonymous