What's up with the double standard?

Im on this site pretty often and I always see the Christian group calling everyone else out on their "false" beliefs. They preach that their way is the only way and quote more scripture than McDonald's has fries!

Yet when myself or others like me answer a question or post a question we get the same old: "You dont know what you are talking about," " that is wrong," " the bible says," "repent," "you are crazy," (and so on) type of responses.

Is it not the same for us to KNOW with out a shadow of a doubt that The Religious way is inaccurate and incorrect? What is up with the double standard?

Let us not forget that the some of the greatest leaders in history (that we know of) were the same ones deemed as crazy or outcast, only to be proven correct in the end.

Why is the double standard set so high?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 10:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because without their faith they are nothing. They need to put others down as wrong in order to validate their own beliefs as truth because if they are proven wrong, their whole world will fall apart. It's perfectly okay for them to use myth as proof, but when someone posts historical documentation to the contrary, they spaz out and their true colors come shining through.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• In all honesty I have to say that it becomes very interesting to have religious believers argue circular logic, and use selective reasoning as a way to justify why we should all behave and think in such manners. Better yet, its even more interesting to read the insulting comments they write in defence of their beliefs.

I just want to make it clear that I do not aim to convert anyone or to insult. I do carry sarcasm from time to time but I have never myself or seen others that are non-religious deliberately disrespect anyone's belief.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• from what I know (having been brought up in the church) -it is their job to do that sort of thing. They are supposed to try to convert and spread the word. I personally think it should be done more with deeds than words, but I think most of the time words are easier! it takes much more effort to actually show love or to be helpful... My mother still prays for our family every day and has FINALLY stopped trying to convince me that I need to go to church or I will surely go to Hell.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• That's what I don't get... they say it's their job to spread the word and convert, but when I say it's my personal job to spread Atheism and try to unconvert, they get pissed.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't know... what really gets me is that they call themselves "Christian", and yet they are so filled with hate. Most of them can't even answer questions that are asked of them. They just continue to throw out Bible verses, and no one gets any closer to any kind of understanding. It's crazy.

I'm a Christian (though some would say I'm not since I'm Catholic), and I don't know if my beliefs are right or not. I guess I will find out when I die. But I can't tell someone else that their beliefs are wrong. It could be that there's more than one "Truth". The "Christians" that are the most outspoken are also the ones who are most insecure in their own beliefs. If they were secure in what they believed, then they wouldn't have to prove anything to anyone.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• about them getting pissy and mean...I think it scares them when people point things out and make them think...the churches I grew up in NEVER taught us about anyone elses way of thinking, or that Jesus' birthday wasn't ACTUALLY the 25th of December or whatever...I know when I was in high school and took a Mythology class for and English credit my parents freaked out. Myabe they knew it would ultimately cause me to want to know more and leave Christianity...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If they were secure in what they believed, then they wouldn't have to prove anything to anyone.

I don't necessarliy think this is true. There are many people who are secure in their beliefs or lack their of and simply want others to share in the happiness they have found. I don't see trying to prove they are right as being insecure (although there are those who need that validation). I think some are just so excited about their beliefs and want people to understand that there might be other ways out there than their own that work just as well.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• IhartU... are you just trying to argue with me? Because you first say that they are nothing without their religion, and then you turn around and basically do a 180. I was talking about the people who are cruel in the way they "discuss" their religion. I have no problem with people who want to spread their own happiness. Those are not the ones we are talking about here though, are they? My point--and I will speak slowly so you get it--was that the obnoxious people who tend to put everyone down for what they believe, may actually be the ones that are most insecure about their beliefs (though they want to appear to be secure and therefore they throw out all those Bible verses, etc). If you look at what I said before the line you quoted, you will see I was talking about the ones that are most outspoken.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Personally I think their should just be a Religion area and not have any non-believer post questions there.  Atheist can have the Beliefs area. 

Anonymous

• dont be a dick anon...religion is a belief as is athiesm....you are supposed to BELIEVE in jesus and his teachings in order to accept them......
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 12:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2009