how do i get him to walk?

ok so my son who is 13 months wont walk.doenst even have a desire to walk!sometimes he will try and then he just sits non his butt and crawls. we even bought him a walking toy and he just stands there for a minute and crawls away! i know al babies are different, my DD was walking at 9 months. but still. is this normal? is there anything i can do?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 11:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was 16 mnths when he walked they do it when they r ready
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Has the doctor checked to make sure there isn't a problem? If there is no problem then consider a baby walker. It will strengthen his legs and give him confidence to try it on his own

Answer by admckenzie at 11:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Leave him be, he'll walk when he's ready. My son had nothing wrong with him but refused to walk til he was 17 months old - he just didn't want to do it, and once he was walking, he was running all over the place. If the doctor's not worried, don't push him or he'll refuse for longer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My son didnt walk until he was 17 months he was a preemie but his ped was worried and ran tests but he was fine they walk when they are ready dont worry he will get there
    XandersMomma07

Answer by XandersMomma07 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I didn't walk until I was 18 months. I just wasn't ready. But once I finally started walking, I was very sure on my feet. Don't worry, he'll do it when he's ready. There is nothing you can do about it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My oldest DD was walking at 9 months also, standing by 7 months. However, my middle DD did not start walking unitl 18 months, she was lazy and just didnt want to do it. She would stand and take a few steps along the couch but nothing to brag about LOL.. Your child will walk when ready. If he is hitting all of the other milestones on time chances are he is just not ready.. Nothing says a child MUST walk by 12 months, that is just the average.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Don't get a baby walker. It doesn't teach them how to walk - it teaches them how to push around in a baby walker. It doesn't teach them balance and coordination to walk.

Leave him alone. He is well within normal. My first walked at 9 months, my second at 13, but at 14, she still does the baby toddle, you know? My first was RUNNING by this age. I am not stressed. She will walk.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I glad your asking questions on this topic .. I wouldn't wait and see if there is a problem . Just a few more month .. then I would take him into the doctors to see what is up .. Some take longer then other's good luck Momma you no I love you .. Praying that it all is just he is a bit behind in his wanting to walk .. I am amazed at the answer's these women gave you . Much to my surprise some kiddos don't walk until they are what 14 month still keep a good eye on him K . HUGS ..
    MommyJanice44

Answer by MommyJanice44 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• He will get it. Many kids learn how to walk after a year.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 10:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009