How soon is too soon for a vow renewal?

My wedding day was a complete disaster. I was sick, had bruised ribs, the whole thing was disorganized and awful, my mom got a speeding ticket on the way to the ceremony, my maid of honor didn't prepare a speech like I asked her to and so she told a story about me from middle school instead. No one checked the sound system for our first dance and the speakers were all messed up and sounded terrible. Those are just a few examples of everything that went wrong. It's kind of funny now, but I still get sad looking at my crappy pictures lol. I've been married 3 years, and am considering a "redo" for our 5th anniversary.

I have also changed faiths in the meantime, and would like to add a handfasting ceremony to the whole affair.

Is 5 years too soon, though? Most vow renewals take place after 20 years or more. I just really don't want those wedding memories to be my only ones :(

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it is different for everyone and you should do it when you want, regardless what other people feel is "proper." It's your marriage, not theirs. :)

My dh and I got married almost 17 years ago by a marriage commissioner and I didn't even have a dress because we had NO money at all. We got married in jeans and I'm so sad about that. I know its the vows that are important, but I told him that I want a nicer wedding with me in some sort of dress and us renewing our vows in a church before God. We're planning on doing that for our 20th anniversary, even though we've been told that it is 'typically' done on the 25th. It's our marriage and we're going to do it when WE want....lol.

I wish you all the best and a life filled with love and happiness. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If it is important to you then do it, but I would suggest that it be an inimate affair, with only close family involved!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I always thought that 5 years was when you was supposed to do that.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• kimigogo, that's what I want anyway lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Some people do it Every Year!! When you can and when you feel the need to! I'd Love to do it for our upcoming 30 Year Wedding Anniversary. But DH & I are jobless and hopeless. So I doubt we can! I hope you can when you want to! Its all about you two & your Love! Have a Happy Marriage!! My DD will be Married 5 years soon too! Best of Luck to you & your happily ever After...!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• do it whenever you want!! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't think there is a magical time to do renewal of vowels. I say if your partner is all for it, then start planning and see what you can come up with that will make it special for the both of you.

My husband and I had a tough wedding too and have talked about doing a renewal, however we're on nine and a half years of marriage (in April it will be 10) and we're considering on spending the money on a trip just the two of us someplace special. Neither of us were the type to always picture our wedding and our main reason for wanting a vowel renewal is to have a more smooth memory of our wedding since we have little pictures to show of it and ‘interesting memories’. We have children now and at most I think we may get our rings engraved and plan a dream trip to another country for our 10th anniversary.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It's whenever you want to renew. We were going to renew at 5, but didn't. We were going to renew at 10, but didn't. So, who knows. Go for it. Have fun!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't know if there are any "rules" maybe you call it something different, like you said a "hand fasting" ceramony. If you and hubby want it do it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2009