Pastor Rick Warren on healthcare...agree or disagree?

Gregory: Is there a moral obligation, though, for--of leadership to provide health insurance more widely in our society?

Warren: Now, I found one day as I was praying in the--and reading the Bible, in Psalms 72 we have Solomon's prayer for more influence...Solomon prayed that. He says, "So that the king may support the widow and orphan, care for the sick, defend the defenseless, speak up for the oppressed." He talks about the marginalized of society. Today he'd talk about those in prison, he'd talk about the elderly, the handicapped mentally and things like that. And out of that passage God spoke to me in a personal way and said, The purpose of influence is to speak up for those who have no influence. So absolutely, one of the stewardships of leadership is to speak up for those who have no voice.

SRiveroC

Asked by SRiveroC at 11:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow...Yes I agree with him on this issues,,,not as a biblical obligation, but on a moral one as human beings.

Some of the replies are really making me wonder if maybe congress should make a law to require  schools to make sure people learn reading comprehension.....Sorry SRiveroC....

tericared

Answer by tericared at 2:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Source

For the record, I still do not agree with his views on gay rights.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Who cares.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It's called a separation of church and state, as a minister he is not allowed to have a viable stance on current political issues. You would of course, already know this.
    Or not?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• What is Warren's stance again on the gay issue? Or the abortion issue? Or the thieving of futures for our children issue? I want to see a post containing his views on all of those. Any pastor would be caring enough to want to care for all, caring for all is not the same as providing a single payer system like the socialistic countries have. Providing a capitalistic environment for the private sector to establish health care would be the same. It would still be provided. I'll go with that....yeah.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• He didn't say anything. He used a lot of words, but did he get to a point? Care for the sick. No I think we would rather park them in the bus station. There is hospice care, and then there is 6 MRI's a day. Health care and healthcare insurance are two different things. right now everyone has a right to walk into a hospital with a dire emergency and recieve care. The question is who pays for it and what about preventative care and non-life threatening care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• She doesn't want to pay for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It's called a separation of church and state, as a minister he is not allowed to have a viable stance on current political issues. You would of course, already know this. Or not?

He is allowed to have an opinion, he's still human. Separation of Church and State means the government is not allowed to inject religious ideals into policies or laws. The way the govern should be in a secular manner.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I think most of us can agree that we need health care reform. We just disagree that the current bill they are working on will be good for everyone. CBO reports that this health care bill will raise premiums, so I don't see how it helps offset costs. It's just a power grab. Why not try legislation that won't carry the financial impact on the citizens that this bill does? There are things that could be done (that have been talked about to death here - we all know what they are) that aren't even being considered. It's not good for either side of the aisle, yet many of us are determine to make it a right / left issue. Neither side are working for the people right now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The question is who pays for it and what about preventative care and non-life threatening care.

Its covered and paid for, read the CBO summary.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2009