What can I do about cig smoke smell coming from heating vents?

We just moved in 2 months ago and every time the heat kicks on we smell cig smoke. We know that the people who lived here before us were smokers. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Have you changed the heat filters?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• How cold is it? If the heater is in the basement, you can open all the windows and turn on for a couple of hours, change the filter while your at it. I got our heating ducts steam cleaned, due to dust, and I was amazed at the gunk that was in there. You can also take off the vents and wash really good, sometimes the smell is coming from the residue left on them, hope this helps!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• yes ....twice already. We change them once a month.
    Anonymous

• I dont know if it will help much, but besides changing your filters a little more often (at least til the smell is gone) and if you look at Wal MArt I know for sure, they have these smell good freshners that fit on your filter and send a good smell through the house, it may not get rid of it, but it may cover it up til it all blows out. If the previous owners were heavy smokers (probably were) you may need to call a professional in that cleans the entire vent system in your house.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If they smoked in the house, the smell is probably soaked into the paint, plaster, woodwork, etc, not just the filters. It will take time to work out. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone professionally clean your ductwork, etc, too - stuff builds up in there and holds on to the smell too. But plan on it taking a while - any day that's nice enough to have windows open to air out the house, have them all wide open! Fresh air is the best thing for getting rid of the smell, and lots of air fresheners if you can stand them (I can't).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It's probably everywhere. I would imagine when you kick the heat on it stirs up dust in the carpet and the smell comes from there as well as the vents. I would have the carpets professionally cleaned but until you can get that done try spraying it with ODOBAN. That is what my carpet guys swear by. You can get it at Walmart and Sam's Club. You can spray it in the vents as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Have the heating ducts professionally cleaned or, if it is a rental, request that the landlord have it done.
    Anonymous