Do Gods/Goddesses set a good moral example?

In most religions, gods are supposed to be the source of all morality. For most believers, their religion represents an institution for promoting perfect morality. In reality, though, religions are responsible for widespread immorality and gods have characteristics or histories which make them worse than the most vile human serial killer. How can people not tolerate such behavior on the part of a person, but when with a god it all becomes prefectly fine — even an example to follow?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's a good question!! When I think of all the people, good people, that have died in the name of religion it's sickening!!! How can you integrate and kill in the name of a god?? The amount of people that were executed in name of Christianity alone is stifling!! How is this justified?? Christianity is not the only religion to do this - but it is the most predominant one. This is why I well stay spiritual, and not subscribe to any one religion. I just can't justify it all, and that is part of what drove me away.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Um, seriously I think you have way too much time on your hands Deary... Who cares? If it doesn't involve you personally, don't worry about it. You should be concerned about your stuff ONLY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i dont think so, thats why i could never believe in any gods/goddesses
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Actually, I have yet to see a beacon of perfect morality in ANY god or goddess. The Christian god killed every firstborn Egyptian, all of them innocent of the crime they were supposed to be being punished for. He's also jealous (which is a sin, according to Him) and vengeful (also a sin). The Roman gods and goddesses were gluttons and they bickered, using people in their battles. The Norse gods were rather promiscuous. The Aztec gods were gruesome, in order to serve EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM you had to perform human sacrifice, sometimes more than just killing someone else, like flaying a slave alive and wearing his skin. We create imperfect gods because we are imperfect beings, and cannot relate to someone who has no flaws. We created this double standard for our gods so we can learn from them without repeating their actions, I think.

Good question :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Anon, just because it doesn't involve me personally, does not mean I don't find it interesting and don't LIKE to learn about it. You have something against education, do you? Why the need to respond to my post anyway? No will power to ignore me or did I strike a nerve with you and you had to insult me in order to make yourself feel better?

Perhaps you like to be ignorant and live inside your little box where only you and your beliefs exist, but I on the other hand like to learn why people believe in and act the way they do.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I tend to look at people and Gods/Goddesses and see their faults and strengths.

I dont believe the Divine is above reproach...if they screw up then they screwed up. They are higher on the evolutionary scale then me, if you will, but that doesnt mean they dont make mistakes or do things that I think are silly or stupid,etc.

I just dont base all my beliefs on them and what they do really.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Wow very interesting. I like what you wrote. Its a great question if you are seeking God and the truth. Churches are held on such a high level and being closest to God.

I see right thru them. I dont let them represent God for me. They are humans just as us. I think you are on the right path if you are searching.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• They can, but they don't always. That's kind of the point.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I have never seen the Gods/Goddesses as an example to live by. I mean, they aren't people, they are gods, why should they have the same rules? That's like saying that dogs should act the same way as people even though they are dogs and not people. As mortals we have a different set of standards because the physical laws that govern our lives don't affect the gods. They are just as fallible and imperfect as we are, the difference is that we are not gods. Period. This is why most of the religious myths you encounter aren't about the Gods, they are about mortal heroes. Because those heroes are people just like us, and it is their examples we are meant to learn from, not those of the Gods.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2009