How do I stay sane?

I have two step son's a 4y old and 5 and my 5 year old daughter, there mother has been a on again off again mother and just in the past few months the 4y old has been verry mean and distant to me :( anytime I try to make him laugh or play he either hits head buts or walks away... I will not give up but sometimes it is so hard I just want to scream into a pillow. Any advice?

Asked by kpwilson at 11:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give up. Keep reaching out to those kids. They need you. Don't take it personally if they don't respond right away. Those kids are hurting. Keep loving them and being sweet to them and you will win them over eventually.

Answer by Eliza34 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• sometimes when i am having a hard day with my kids, i do scream into a pillow, get it out of you, then re approach the situation, in a calmer way. it'll help, trust me.

Answer by asharp22 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Screaming into a pillow might help.
    Maybe take them outside a lot, get some of that agression out playing football, baseball, or running races, having fun but he is not close enough to try and hurt you.

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2008