• In the Spotlight:

could she be ready to start potty training?

My daughter is 14, almost 15 months, and has been going to get me a diaper and wipes after she poops for about 3 weeks. Well, the past few days, she will also do it (and point to her diaper, saying "bah") after she pees (I know this because when I check her, it's newly wet/warm). Then yesterday, she said "bah" and walked over to the potty chair (which I pulled out when she started telling me about her poop, just so that she could get used to it). I checked her diaper and it was 100% dry, so I thought just maybe she was telling me she had to go. So I took off her diaper and put her on the potty. She got a little mad and got up, walked across the room and peed on the floor!! Since she's so conscious of her bodily functions and proactive about telling me about them, should I start potty training? Is this absurdly early? I wouldn't put on any pressure or anything, because I understand her capacities are limited. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she could be ready
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yeah, she could be ready. My 14 month old poops mostly on the potty. She pees maybe once or twice a day in the potty. It's low stress here - it takes time. But yeah, your kid could be ready. Give it a whirl and see how it goes!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Girls are funny when they figure out that they are wet or dirty....lol. I remember when my DD was little, I thought there was NO WAY she was ready to potty train, but she most certainly was. Buy her some day time panties and see how it goes. If she is interested, and it sounds like she is, go for it, just dont make it stressful and you will be done with diapers soon :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I am one for waiting until they turn 3. That's what I did with my kids. But it sounds like yours could be ready!! Give it a try!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Why would you wait until they are 3? I am stuck in the 2 year old nursery this year, and I hate having to change those diapers. The kids walk up to me and say "I pooped, change my diaper." Thanks, kid. Why don't you change it yourself?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My son is almost 14 months old and I have been sitting him on the potty for the past 2 months - and every time he pees in it, For some strange reason, for the past 2 weeks, he absolutely refuses to sit on it, arches his back, throws himself back and ends up sometimes hitting his head to the toilet cover. What's wrong, why does he do this? My niece is 23 months old and has been fully potty trained since 3 months at least. I was practicing with my son, to get him ready. Any advice?
    ANAHITA72

Answer by ANAHITA72 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• (This is OP): Believe me, I won't wait until 3... I trained my other daughter at 19 months by going straight to undies. I just know 14 months is a bit early for bladder control.. But thanks for your encouragement all of you... I'll just take it easy and see how it goes. Right now she doesn't want to sit on the potty, but she's doing a great job telling me she just went and sometimes even that she's about to go... I'll let her get used to the idea of sitting before I get her undies... But I'm just so surprised this kind of awareness can happen this quickly!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ANAHITA72, I'd give it a day or two break. He might have gotten scared or had a painful poop.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2009