Should I get the swine flu vaccine for my kids?

My dd is over 2 and my ds is 16 mths and Im not sure whether or not to get the swine flu vaccine for them. Has anyone got any advice for me??

Cillamc

Asked by Cillamc at 12:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The h1n1 vaccine is created via the same process as regular flu vaccines. If you get your child that one, get him/her the h1n1. (I checked this via an infectious disease specialist.) If you have objections to the regular flu vaccines, you'll probably have the same objections to this one. If your child has any underlying health conditions, you should strongly consider getting the vaccine. (My son wheezes with regular colds/allergies so getting the vaccine has been hight on my priority list. he's had one dose so far.) However, as other posters have said, only you can decide what's best for your child. Talk to your doctor if needed.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i wouldnt. but its your child. do what you think is best.
    Anonymous

• I can't tell you what to do for your kids. NO one here can (or should).

Mine all received the vaccine. They're asthmatic and need the extra protection.
    Anonymous

• It's obviously your decison but my kids have gotten their first dose and are about to get their second. They are fine. There have been no reported bad reactions from something that a lot of people on here have touted to be dangerous and a conspiracy between the government and the medical industry. Look into the facts and do what you think is best.
    Anonymous

• For your 2 year old they will give her the FluMist. My husband just got that because of his job. He has now been on bed rest for 3 days now, because he has the swine flu. So....Before this happened I chose for me and my son not to get it. Choice is yours, this is just my personal story.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• They can give your 2 year old the shot and not the mist... All of my children had the vaccine and we had no reactions what so ever. They all got the shot. You can ask your ped for the shot for your youngest because it does carry less of a risk of getting sick than the mist..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• armywife2009101... you are the same one that answered a question in the pregnancy section about the swine flu and pregnancy. You stated that the doc would most likely give her an anti-biotic. Maybe you should do your research before you further advice people on anything related to the swine flu. Im just saying...

OP... I would have gotten the vaccination for both my children (2 and 5) but they have already cultured positive for H1N1 so vaccinating them would be a waste since they have already began to form their own anti-bodies against the strand
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• armywife, they will NOT automatically give the flumist especially if she takes the kids in for the SHOT!!!

And your husband should have known there was a slim chance of him getting the flu from the flumist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We did not, and would not. We did get the h1n1, it wasn't fun, but we got over it. Even after having it, I still wouldn't have gotten the shots or the mist for any of my kids.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I decided to get the vaccine as I felt that if anything happened to them and they didnt have it Id never forgive myself. I think it is very diffiult but for myself I feel I have made the right decision and they are both perfectly fine since getting it.
    Cillamc

Answer by Cillamc at 7:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2009