times are hard! ive been out of work 4 a while......

does any 1 know of anyjobs in the NYC area that i can look into? maybe some legit @ home jobs!!! i heard of a few work from home jobs but they were just scams! so if any1 has any info & wouldlike to help me i would really appreciate it so much! thanx in advance

jaidah917

Asked by jaidah917 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Looking for a job is a full time job, and sometimes you need to be creative and design your own job.
    Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, in addition to coaching.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• wow, thanks for the info, rkoloms!!!! You rock!
    Anonymous

• There are lots of great tips and support in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 12:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• jaidah, what part of NY are you from? i know that you prefer an at home job, but if you can, maybe you can go medical receptionist in a radiology facility, freestanding or in a hospital. Most girls start off at $16-17/hr, no experience. You can move up in companies like that. I started doing reception and i dont make a million a year, but now i make a really good salary as a radiologic technologist. you should look into it. even if you prefer to stay in the adm. part, you could move up to office manager they make around $60,000/ year.
    Anonymous

• jaidah, i just looked youre from brooklyn, i grew up there. check the radiology facilities. Brooklyn hospital on Dekalb avenue has a hotline that have plenty of jobs.
    Anonymous

• I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 8 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Have you looked into any at home businesses?? I work at home with Tupperware and make GREAT money! my2.tupperware.com/amyroca you should at least consider the opportunity. I earn lots of FREE Tupperware as well as good money every month. I have been with Tupperware 3 years. I LOVE the monthly training we get as well.

Good luck with your search I hope you will at least check out this opportunity.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 4:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I am involved in this awesome company. It offers many nutritional and weight loss products to help you get healthy. The best part is that you can join the company and make money from your living room. This is like no other company you have ever joined. Everyone involved is like a family. We want to see you succeed and will help you every step of the way. Check it out and if you have any questions let me know

www.jointnt.com/nicolemuschett
    www.trumpnetwork.com/nicolemuschett
    chiro789

Answer by chiro789 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2009