Breastfeeding and Pumping Questions

So I pump and breastfeed my daughter who is 6 weeks old today. I have a question for those of you who pump also....

How often do you pump?

How many oz do you get when you pump?

How long do you pump for?

Do you pump both sides?

The reason why I ask is because I was told to supplement my daughter and I had been since she was born (she had juandice), her doc said it was better. I went to WIC and they told me that breastmilk was better, so I had been nursing her more often. She gets maybe 3 to 4 bottles a day, and I have beenpumping but I am only getting 2 oz total. A oz each side and I pump for 15 mins. I was wondering if this was normal. I got some Mothers Milk Tea to help with the production, but someone told me that it was normal to get that amount while pumping. So if you could help me I really appreciate it.

Married2daBest

Asked by Married2daBest at 12:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump right when u get up in the morning( ur suply is greatest then, also try pumping a lil bit befor u feed if u can. that is normal since ur baby is still so new. i dont know why they told u to supplement, we get no support these days( i weaned my daughter at 16months. but what i did pump i put in the freezer for when i went back to work or whatever.i always pumped both breast at once.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• For the first couple of weeks i wasnt producing much, but you have to pump consistently and that was my problem. When i got on schedule with it, i would get 6-8 oz per breast. So i had plenty to feed and then some to freeze! I used a manual pump too, i'm trying to decide which pump to buy this time around!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You can pump one side and nurse on the other, or you can pump both sides inbetween nursing.

Here are some tips for getting your production up:
    Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• When i was still pumping, i did it every time the baby was supposed to eat, if I wasnt with him, i would call and tell the "sitter/hubby" to give a bottle.
    Hearing him latch onto the bottle really helped me with let down.
    After two months i was pumping about 2.5 oz every time.
    I had a double pump so I would always pump both sides.
    i also had supply issues that needed resolved with prescriptions, but I hear 2.5 oz is normal at 8 weeks.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• for some women, pumping is not very effective. By now, her jaundice has gone away. You can stop supplementing and just nurse alone. If you want to pump, do so an hour after you nurse. If she nurses only on one side, then pump the other right after you finish nursing her, then pump both an hour later. The more you nurse or pump, the more your body will be stimulated to produce more milk. Unless you absolutely need to, I would get rid of the bottles. They hinder your supply.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I pumped for my son for more than month. 6 to 8 ounce per pump both brests. pump every 4 hours both sides, seems like you don't make enought milk, so pump as much as you can let your milk supply go up. good luck
    Anonymous

• That is normal output. If you want to get rid of the supplements though, just dump them... nurse on demand and your supply will increase. Pumping won't increase supply anywhere near as much as baby will and she can't do that if she's getting formula.

For the record though, 2 oz is a serving at this age... if she's taking more than that from a bottle, she's overeating.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• POSTER<<<<<<<<<
    Thanks ladies, I do want to just nurse her but she is always hungry. Even after I nurse her she falls asleep on the breast I take her off and burp her lay her down then 30mins later she wake up like she is starving. I have an electric pump and can only pump one side at a time. I went and got some Mothers Milk Tea and have been drinking that for a week. I do have a 5 year old in school, and a hubby so its hard to just nurse her all day long. She is taking 3 to 4 oz by bottle. Actually she will drink 3 then take the last oz about 30 mins later.
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 1:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I understand the time constraints. I'm a SAHM of a 3 y/o plus dd (now 3.5 months) the truth is if you truely want to EBF you need to put the time in. I had dd attatched to the boob for a gopod month before I was able to space her feedings out. As for how to increase supply, keep drinking the tea. Also as pp said, pump before nursing. LO are MUCH better at getting the milk out. If she's still hungry after nursing give her what you pumped. My supply took a HUGE dive when I ended up in surgery and had to pump and dump for 48 hours (I really didn't take the time to pump like I should have) this is what worked for me, infact it gave me a bit of an over supply. Good luck and hope this helps. If you truely want something to help try fenugreek too. Its an herb that's safe to take while breastfeeding.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It's hard to say b.c everyone is diff. I was getting about 2oz each for the 1st month and then the more he ate the more milk i produced. I pumped about every 2hrs for about 30min. but it just depends on your body. Try the Lactavive Support Vitamins @ Whole Foods they work really good!
    MrsRice3

Answer by MrsRice3 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2009