is it normal

I know regression is normal when a child gets a new sibling but ds has flourished until recently. He was always getting pushed aside but now that dd is 3 months and is able to soothe herself a little, we spend more time with ds (3 y/o) we are playing games with, going on walks and just being a little more patient with him. Well yesterday and today he started peeing his underwear after being potty trained for at least 6 months. Is it normal for him to regress three months after dd is born? I thought it was like 2-3 weeks after a new LO was born but I was lucky that he didn't. I haven't changed anything recently (still a SAHM) what are your thoughts?

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• DD did this and she doesn't have a sibling. I wouldn't be so quick to link the accidents with another sibling.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Regressions are a normal part of potty training. And even 6 months after... I think that's when my daughter's major one was, too. It could be a reaction to the sibling or not... sometimes they take a big step back in one thing while they're taking a step forward in another (and often it's things we can't fully see -- like new ways of conceptualizing the world, etc). I wouldn't worry, just maintain your expectations, don't get angry, and if you want you can offer a small reward for a minor accomplishment... like a full dry day again. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2009