What to give a 10mo old for a cold.

We have been to the drs and we have an antibiotic for his ear infection, they told me to give him infant tylenol but it says for fevers. I don't really like giving him medicine but he has been sick for a week. I feel so bad his little nose is running non stop. He is probably teething but the dr says that he does have a cold. So i was hoping someone could give me a suggestion to make him and me feel better.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• My doc allowed me to use Pedia-care and it did help. But I followed the dosing instructions the doc gave me and corroborated it with the pharmacist for dose amount.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Prop him up when he's sleeping to help with post nasal drip and coughing...and use a humidifyer. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. I give the kids advil when they are sick but only if they look miserable...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• There isn't anything you can give a baby that big for a cold. Basically just keep him comfortable. Give him lots of fluids to flush it out of his system. Try vics and or a humidifier at night to help with congestion. Hope he feels better soon. :)
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Children's Tylenol Cough & Cold - ask your Dr for the proper dosing amt.
    Anonymous

• Fluids are good. I never give my kids meds even for fevers unless it is over 104 degrees. The fever has a purpose. For congestion we use a humidifier. Colds have to run their course and are not serious enough to put chemicals in a childs body.
    Anonymous

• If he has antibiotics for the ear infection, give him infants tylenol for any discomfort (or skip the tylenol), and there's nothing else you can give him medication wise - the runny nose, etc, is a side-effect of the ear infection, and it will all clear up as the ear infection clears up. Give the antibiotics time to work (it can take days for him to appear to improve) and give them to him as directed so it doesn't come back worse! (I have 4 kids who've had plenty of ear infections, and I've had chronic ear infections for the last few years myself, especially this last year).
    Anonymous