Hoarding

OK, so I am embarrassed to ask this. But I have heard a lot about this lately in the news and such, and looking at the information I think I have an issue with this. I have looked into counseling, but I see the judging and dissappointment in their eyes besides it is so costly even with insurance. Does any body know more about this and maybe have some tips and/or suggestions besides "just organize your stuff"?

dahdah-yay

Asked by dahdah-yay at 1:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Health

• I'm a hoarder and it has nothing to do with organization. We have issues and we deal with them by hoarding. I get upset when these programs go in and get rid of people's stuff thinking they are helping. No they are not - they are causing stress to these folks. We find peace with the things we hoard. As for the food (post above), not all hoarders live like pigs with decomposed food laying around. It's about things and the comfort it brings to us. Over the years I've gotten better about it but I still have my stash of stuff (too much stuff ). I tend to lighten up and give it away when someone's in need like after a disaster. My place looks clean for a while then I have a panic attack and fill it back up ...yep with stuff. I have friends who are hoarders but you can't walk through their house. I've come along way since those days. Just don't think it's as easy as cleaning and organizing. It's beyond that. Maybe CM has a group!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• There is a great book called Buried in Treasures; you should be able to find it at your local library or you can buy it from Amazon or another seller.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yeah, if you haven't use it in a year it is trash, donate it and think of it as thing that will do good to other people because to you it is just causing pain and anxiety. Open the windows, open the doors and let it all out.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I would love to be a counseler one day. and i have watched the show. about hoarders. and it is a little breath taking when you are a constant organizer. and i would love to help you. for free. lol there is always different levels and types of hoarding. If I seen your house Im sure it could be entirely worse. you have to just keep thinking you want and need to get better. im not entirely sure how bad or off you are with it. but also think. things you dont use, dont think the way and feel you have wasted money. bc there are people out there that would love to have what you dont use at a discount take it to a thrift store or donate things that you dont use. someone poorer than you will and can use it. think this way. and it doesnt happen over night, it may take time. some people may be too pushy on you, and they dont realize it. its all about time you spend doing it and thinking why your doing it. some cases are very toxious.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Cont. i think in the long run you will be very proud of youself. and it will be a rewarding experience. your helping yourself, others around you, and people who need things you dont use. now i dont understand about food, bc it can be very posionous, for example there would be rotten and molded cheese, potatoes, and things of that nature which is very unhealthy. but its somewhat a disease your experiencing. anyways ladY! message me, and I would love to help you with the process, I could be sorta your little helper. GL :)
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't get it, it is a self destructive behavior. I knew a hoarder and let me tell you, she needed help. She has lost the ability to function, to think clearly, to feel anything and/or to be alive and enjoying life. Her house was a mess, you could not step in, she had cats in her house and Oh boy you could vomit just from standing in the porch, the smell was that bad.

Finally, I told her that her house was no less than a sty. She acted offended and other people told her too. It got so bad that her own children would not stop and visit, she wasn't allowed to see her grandchildren in her house. After much struggle, she realized that no family member or friend would visit her and her house could be condemned. She cleaned up a little and I haven't seeing her for years. Maybe she is death inside that trap she calls house, I don;t know but I wouldn't be surprised to learned that is what happened to her.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Maybe CM has a group!

********

Yes we do!

De-clutter, Clean and Organize your life! We're very supportive of each other in daily struggles to de-clutter and get control of our things. Please, feel free to check out the group!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2009