How do I get my 2 yr old to stop bitting ?

I never had a problem with my two other kids bitting . My mom said she would bite me back ,but other people says that that makes them think it's ok to bite WHAT DO I DO ?

christinafitz31

Asked by christinafitz31 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd started biting at 13 mos... she left a bruise that covered my tricep so I bit her back. I didn't even leave teeth marks but she is now 2 and hasn't even attempted it since. It worked for my baby, but every child is different.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• telling a kid don't do what i do, do as i say don't cut it.. don't bite him. look him in his eyes & say firmly biting hurts, give him a two min time out each time he bites. if he gets out of hand tap him on his bottom & say no biting.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• when my son was that age he was a biter. Some of it was because he got really excited around other kids, some of it could have been from frustration and there were so many other factors as well. At that age its hard for them to communicate things, so I think a lot of it is just because tehy can't. My son also got bit once, and he continued the biting phase after that. I do not beleive that biting back will solve the problem. I think you just have to remember its a phase, but also don't accept that behavoir either. What I did was just took preventable measures. I was always next to him to prevent him from biting (and that way I could make a better judgement of why he was doing it), I also told other people that watched him that he bit. Also, there were times where a gentle hug and kiss would turn into a bit, or it may not as well. So I always had to be aware of that as well. Don't get too frustrated, because it is a phase....
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• and to add, we got a great book we read (and still read) called "teeth are not for biting" I got it on amazon for really cheap
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I bit back and I have pinched back. I bit my LO back and said we don't bite it hurts. I left teeth marks on my second attempt. She hasn't tried to bite in more than 9 mos. I pinched back and it took 3 attempts to get the right amount of pressure. My third attempt at it you would have thought the world was coming to an end. Lip pouting and screaming. I told her that we don't pinch it hurts She hasn't done it on purpose in a few months. I wish you luck no matter what method you decide to use.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• quote- "I bit back and I have pinched back. I bit my LO back and said we don't bite it hurts. I left teeth marks on my second attempt. She hasn't tried to bite in more than 9 mos. I pinched back and it took 3 attempts to get the right amount of pressure. My third attempt at it you would have thought the world was coming to an end. Lip pouting and screaming. I told her that we don't pinch it hurts She hasn't done it on purpose in a few months. I wish you luck no matter what method you decide to use."
    ok coala that sounds like abuse.. come on these are babies/toddlers they don't understand..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009