Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is bio-dad obligated to help pay medical/medical bills?

DS is 6, his bio dad pays $200 every two weeks for child support, my son does not have medical and has about $8k in medical bills. In the past year he broke his finger (emergency room/x-rays/follow-up) and then had a seizure in school (a ton of testing was done).

He now has to also go back to his specialist as he is autistic.

His bio-dad and I don't talk, he isn't involved in his life at all.

Is he legally obligated with helping with the bills?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (6)
  • Your legal court order documenting custody issues should address this. When I went through it, I got all the medical expenses on me, because I had a steady job with med insurance and my ex- rarely worked long enough to qualify for insurance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • Look at the court order. If it doesn't say anything about it, then no, the bio dad doesn't have to pay anything. If it does talk about it, it might say only 10% or even up to 50%.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 1:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • Wasn't all that stated in your divorce agreement?

    DH is obligated to pay child support for his son and is required to pay his medical insurance, both until he is 22 years old. It gets a little confusing when it comes to out of pocket money...for instance, even though we pay hundreds every month for insruance, his mother disregards that and takes her son to out of netword doctors, when she does that we refuse to pay the extra amount.... etc....

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • Your court document on child support should have a thing that says you pay out so much out of your pocket and he pays the percentage of the rest. Like mine is pay out $463.00 of medical bills then her father pays 67% of the rest.

    Answer by suzyb1980 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • Only if it is stated in custody/child support or divorce papers. My sons father is supposed to pay 1/2 of all out of pocket medical and have health insurance on my son is 13 yrs old and his father has NEVER done either. It is not worth the hassle to take him to court and try and get the money from him. He rarely pays his child support to begin with. If your son has Autsim, he should be eligible for state insurance.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

  • you should check into "chips" or medicade for your son if you do not have private health insurance. simply by applying for medicade they will look at his father and determine what he should or could end paying.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.