I think I overfeed my newborn and then he vomits milk. Not every feeding but every couple of days. Does anyone else have this problem and how can I stop it?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 1:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed him less. 2 oz should be the most he needs at one feeding if he's a newborn. Also burping after an ounce, and then again after the 2nd ounce - if he's bottle fed. If he's breastfed, burping between breasts or just after he's done if he only takes one at a time. But feeding less per sitting would be the first place to start if you think you're overfeeding.
    Anonymous

• try burping him more often.. my 5 month old has this issue each feeding
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Oh - is it like projectile vomiting, everything in his stomach, or just a little bit? If it's just a little bit, no big deal, it's typical spit-up. If it's everything, or projectile, you may want to mention it to the doctor soon just so he at least knows for future reference.
    Anonymous

• I am assuming you are meaning he is bottle feeding? If so it sounds like he might be eating too much, so you could try scaling back the amount you give him by an ounce or two. And also don't lay the baby flat to feed... angle him just a little, because this can help him not swallow as much air and he won't eat as fast too. It also could be reflux, since it's not every feeding. And that can be caused by the type of formula... if he's on formula. Good luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2009