How do I get my 7 m old to sleep in his bed through the night?

My 7m old gets up about 5-6 times a night screaming. I go into his room and try and pat him but I always have to pick him up. I either walk around with him or rock him back to sleep. When I go to lay him back down most of the time he realizes he is in bed and starts screaming and I have to start over. If I do get him down without waking up it's about 2hours later that I have to start over. I need a good nights rest!! Help me help him!! I have tried to let him cry it out and fall asleep own his own but he never gives up....

mom2evan411

Asked by mom2evan411 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 7 Months is too young for crying it out.

My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours and 14 months before she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis.

Cosleeping kept me from losing my mind; I was able to doze/sleep while she nursed.
    Anonymous

• Yeah,...I wouldn't let hem cry it out...try putting cereal,rice or oatmeal (for babys) in the bottles...my daughter's 11 months now.And does still the same thing ...she would do the exact same things your going through..I have to sleep with her..I know thats a no no..but thats how she sleeps good..she only wakes 1 time to eat in the middle of the night..used to be 5-7 times a night.. Good Luck!
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 2:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• co-sleeping here too - it's survival! :)) If you are afraid, just check out Dr. Sears' article on safe co-sleeping at his website www.askdrsears.com
    go_romanovs

Answer by go_romanovs at 3:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Is he napping in his bed during the day? If he isn't, that's where I would start. Try playing some soothing music at first to calm him down. Make sure he is full and dry. Let him cry for a few minutes, go in and reassure him, then leave the room again. I think once he gets the idea that you aren't going to pick him up, he will stop. Babies are often uncomfortable in wide open spaces, so you might also try swaddling him, especially at night.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have tried the co sleeping thing that doesn't always work either. I have tried going in the room and reassuring him. He has never liked to be swaddled even as an infant. He does take naps in his crib but it's the same thing most of the time. Sometimes the naps are better than at night? I have tried a night light, a humidifier, and fan for noise. He has a routine at night that we stick too. I have never been around (nephews/nieces) babies that wake up screaming everytime they wake up. Evan's doctor says that he should learn how to put himself to sleep but he can't/won't? Any other thoughts are welcomed...
    mom2evan411

Answer by mom2evan411 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2009