Let me clairify a little clearer, I am breastfeeding my 2 week old and I think I have a tendancy to overfeed him. I do burp him after each feeding but sometimes he does not want to burp. Yet every now and then he vomits his whole feed at least once every couple of days. Not projectile but more then a little spit-up. He seems fine before and after. Should I be worried and how can I stop? I tried to shorten his feedings but he just crys and wants more. Help!!

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 2:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you cant overfeed while breastfeeding! you might have a strong let down, or he might be going through a growth spurt!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• They showed this on tv the other day on The Doctors. They showed where it looks like a lot of spit up but it's actually not and to not be worried. If the baby is losing weight and crying all the time then call the doctor. If not, then he's fine. Just keep feeding him.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• As long as he is happy and growing, everything is fine! As other moms have stated, you can't overfeed a breastfed baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Unlatch & burp then continue nursing. Burp, switch sides & repeat. Make sure he's staying upright after the feeding-that might help to.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I've had two spitters! It always seems like that are spitting up most of their feeding, but as long as they are gaining weight they're actually fine. Make sure you burp him in between sides. As long as it doesn't bother him, then he should be fine. You may want to talk to his dr and just make sure they are aware that he spits. For my now 9 year old they actually put him on zantac once he was around 6 months old for a couple months (because he was spitting everywhere and it was starting to interfere with his play) and after that he was much better. My now 13 month old just outgrew it shortly after we started solids (7-8 months).

Answer by missanc at 3:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It helps a lot to nurse more, actually :) This way he'll take less at each feeding, as opposed to being more hungry and eating more in one session. Their tummies are tiny and can only take so much. Also try to feed so that his head is up higher than his stomach. Keep him upright for a while after the feeding..
    But babies just do sometimes, if it doesn't cause any problem with the baby, you shouldn't worry either. Don't fix it if it ain't broken :)
    go_romanovs

Answer by go_romanovs at 3:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• As the other ladies said, you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. Spit up is fairly common, and as long as it is not causing severe weight loss, it is usually more of a laundry problem ;)
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 8:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• read this info about BFing and spit up
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

link says reflux but its about more than that
    also read this, many babies spit up for this reason
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My little girl was one to spit up too. Chiropractic adjustment made a big difference for her. Also I noticed when I ate wheat she spits up more. You can't overfeed a breastfeed baby, let baby nurse as much as they want
    Anonymous

• My boy did the same, apparently there is fewer bubbles in the breastmilk than botteld milk so he might pass on burping once in awhile, You are doing fine.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 12:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2009