are blood tests really necessary?

my husband and i have never had other partners. i'm just wondering if it is really necessary to get a blood test. i know they also test for anemia but aren't there symptoms of that? i'm pretty ignorant on the subject. my midwife recommends them and says they can detect potential problems but i was just wanting to get some other opinions. thanks :) i didn't tell her i might not get it because i was thinking i would but... well i'm a major needle-phobe so... i obviously want to get the blood test if it really would prevent problems somehow but not i would love to do without

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The only thing I can think of is Rh factor....otherwise, you can decline any test or procedure you want to decline.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• get it done no matter if you are afraid of needles...think of your unborn child and if they are born with something wrong (knock on wood) then you will blaming yourself for not getting them done....dont be ignorant about the health of your baby!
    Anonymous

• Needle-phobe or not...Don't you want what is best for your baby? I think I got two blood tests with each baby and an extra test with the middle child. You are going to be a mother, suck it up and get the tests you need.
    Anonymous

• "get it done no matter if you are afraid of needles...think of your unborn child and if they are born with something wrong (knock on wood) then you will blaming yourself for not getting them done....dont be ignorant about the health of your baby!"

that didn't really answer my question though, are you saying there is something they can tell from a blood test that would prevent something being wrong with the baby? that's what i'm trying to find out. thanks. -OP
    Anonymous

• "Needle-phobe or not...Don't you want what is best for your baby? I think I got two blood tests with each baby and an extra test with the middle child. You are going to be a mother, suck it up and get the tests you need."

same to you as above, do you know what it is that makes it best for baby? that's what i'm trying to find out so your answer is really very helpful. --OP
    Anonymous

• Well your question is rather dumb to begin with. Sorry, but if you are too scared to go take a blood test, WTH are you going to do when you go into labor? Trust me that is MUCH worse than a little stick of a needle. Grow up!
    Anonymous

• Any you are having kids. It's NOT just about YOU anymore just get the flipping blood test it's NOT that bad.
    Anonymous

• ok ladies i get so sick of everyone being so judgmental. the only person who actually answered the question was the first poster. thanks mamaroberts!

i already said that if it really would make it less likely that something would be wrong with my baby, i would do it. I AM ASKING, DOES THE BLOOD TEST RESULT REALLY GIVE THE MIDWIFE SOME INFORMATION THAT WOULD REDUCE THE LIKELIHOOD THAT SOMETHING WOULD BE WRONG WITH MY BABY.

i have one child already, an all natural birth with no needles. i do not have a problem with pain. do you ladies seriously not know anyone with a phobia? claustrophobia? anything? take a minute and read the question before you start spewing your judgments.
    Anonymous

• Honey, you may as well get it done, and get used to needles. From the time you get pregnant to when you have the baby you'll poked so many times and have so many uncomfortable procedures that you probably won't even fear them anymore, lol. You'll eventually have to get a test to check for gestational diabetes too, and they'll draw blood for that. And when you have your baby...you may need an IV, a catheter, an epidural or spinal block, which is inevitable if you have to have a c section. Plus, after you have the baby, they give you different kinds of shots that are required. Face the fear now...no one likes it, but it's not even that bad.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• are you scared that they will find out he is not the father?
    Anonymous