Does anyone else think smoking should be banned from ALL public places inside AND out? (also in Health section)

I think it should be banned in ALL public places inside AND outside. I don't think it's right that I (or any other non-smoker, especially children!) have to breath someones nasty smoke when I'm sitting outside a cafe, chilling in the park, or walking down the sidewalk!

I'll be trying to enjoy a nice day sitting outside a Starbucks or something with my mom and DD and be forced to go inside because some idiot sits down by us and lights up! Sorry but that is NOT fair to us.

I remember when the finally banned it from bars around here, all the smokers bitched and bitched about "smokers rights" what a JOKE, what about MY right to breath clean air? MY right to be able to go out and not come home reaking like smoke, with a sore throat and itching eyes?

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 2:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not only, but I also think smokers should have a designated area say 100 feet away from a building. Nothing like walking into a store and being bombarded by several smokers standing outside the door. I think a person's right to breathe should trump a person's right to smoke. Health should come before addiction.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do!! And I think the Tobacco companies should stop growing their crops--- and grow something else that is healthy!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• What needs to be done...is no smoking right next to entrance/exit doors to public places.
    Unfortunatley these public places ( not all but a lot) put ash trays and the such....right by the fron doors...so where are the smokers gonna go.
    There should be a designated area.....when I worked retail...we did not allow our employees to smoke right by the door...they had to go to the side of the building or far enough away from the front doors.
    Heh..and I used to smoke...I even smoke occasionally ...but I agree that people are very rude smoking right next to people who don't.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 3:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I think that you wouldn't want someone telling you what you can do in your home and to tell someone what they can and cannot do in their private business is absolutely insane, not only is it unamerican its unconstitutional. In a private business the government shouldn't be able to tell you how or what to do in your business.

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 3:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

Did you even read the original post? You must not have or your just stupid. No one is talking about coming into a private home. And government is in the business of regulating business. Hello- if we use your logic there would be no rights for employees, no regulation of pollution or trash created by businesses, businesses would not have to engage in fair business practices at all. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I think I am getting tired of people complaining about smokers... *sigh*

ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Op- while I understand your frustration, there are a couple of problems with more regulation on smokers. First, who's gonna enforce it? The police have bigger issues to deal with. Second, smokers are customers too, so no business is gonna support more regulation. The assumption is that smoke will blow away out doors and you have more space to get away. So I really don't think it would do much good to pass more laws.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The only place it should be restricted is inside of public establishments. Outside?; please...you're the JOKE!
    Anonymous

• OP, they already are banned. i dont know where you live but in the places i have lived and heard of they are banned. you are not allowed to smoke inside cafe's, restaurants or fast food places. not even outside anymore. I go to nice places so maybe thats why. Even stores and markets say No smoking please go XX here
    Anonymous

So now you want to gov't to dictate what a co can and cannot grow? Wow...
    Anonymous