repost-->what do you think the benefit of blood tests are? no drama version

ok apparently some people were confused by my previous question although i got some good answers from doulala, stefanie, and mamaroberts (sorry if i'm leaving someone out). :)

im wondering what the benefit of blood tests might be. i did have a prev pregnancy with blood tests so i think i could find out about RH & rubella immun from that and if i remember right both of those were fine. so it comes down to STDs, anemia, and glucose. last time i decided to get the tests but this time im not sure. i hope to eat as healthy as possible and am actually planning to try to follow the Gestational diabetes diet, and monitor other symptoms for GD and anemia.

so what do you fellow moms think the benefits are? i am about 60/40 on it right now. i probably will get the blood test but i have a bad phobia and have bad fits. i know some do not understand phobias but it's pretty bad. :)

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• please try your hardest to not assume that you are better than me just because i am asking a question about pregnancy and be supportive =) thanks again! oh, another note, i'm not concerned about STDs because my husband and i have never had other sexual partners.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• "Why Are Prenatal Tests Performed?

Prenatal tests can identify several different things:

* treatable health problems in the mother that can affect the baby's health
    * characteristics of the baby, including size, sex, age, and placement in the uterus
    * the chance that a baby has certain congenital, genetic, or chromosomal problems
    * certain types of fetal abnormalities, including some heart problems

The last two items on this list may seem the same, but there's a key difference. Some prenatal tests are screening tests and only reveal the possibility of a problem. Other prenatal tests are diagnostic, which means they can determine — with a fair degree of certainty — whether a fetus has a specific problem. In the interest of making the more specific determination, the screening test may be followed by a diagnostic test."
    Anonymous

• thanks anons!!!! i did already decide against the other tests other than a 20 week ultrasound but am still undecided on the blood test but i really like the link and the first bullet point there is interesting. that's really what i was looking for, whether there is something that is detected through my blood that can then be treated :) i'm going to look into that link

-OP
    Anonymous

• I just answered, but wanted to reiterate that rubella titres can change between pregnancies. I was immune to rubella by my titres in my first pregnancy, 18 mos later when I got pg again I was no longer immune. My prior vaccinations had worn off. That was information worth having because rubella can cause serious pregnancy issues, and it reminded me to be more careful about limiting my exposure to potential measles infection.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I had some genetic testing done since I had my daughter when I was over the age of 35. One of the things they tested was if I carried the cystic fibrosis gene (caucasians are more at risk). If I had been a carrier, they would have tested the father, and if he was positive, we would have done further testing.

It is nerve wracking waiting on results, but it gave me peace of mind ruling out potential problems.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• thanks freela, i did notice that in your post, and i did not know that. my son is 2 so it's been about 2.5 years. anng, i did go ahead and decide not to do the cystic fibrosis test. i asked my midwife, if it turned out that we were both carriers, is there anything that could be done? and she said no, so i decided i didn't want to know if we had a 25% chance of having a baby with cystic fibrosis. i'm not saying that people shouldn't get that test, just that we decided not to :) thanks for your post anng.
    Anonymous

• You're right that some conditions have no cure, like CF or Downs, but I'm one to think it's best to be prepared ahead of time (research, support groups, finding the right doctors, etc.). Other conditions may benefit by storing the core blood after delievery, which is costly if nothing is ever wong with the child. If you are having a son, they may also test for Active X.

Most babies are born healthy and problem free, so I wouldn't think less of any woman who decided not to test, especially if she or the father has no family history of genetic issues.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I personally, do not think it's necessary. If you follow the Brewer's diet (or a GD diet), then you dont have to worry about GD at all. The genetic testing is pointless, because there's nothing that can be done prenatally. Unless you would abort but that doesnt sound like the case. Iron and blood sugar can be tested with a finger prick (with one of those lancet things, not even a needle) if that becomes a concern. But yeah, I didnt do it and wont. :-D Try looking at some of the natural pregnancy and natural birth groups on here for more info.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I've never had any screening type of blood test, never had a GD test or GBS test. The only standard test that i do is the 20 week ultrasound. Personally i don't see the point in taking unreliable tests.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2009