overwashing my hands??

I have been washing my hands too much lately..I know this but with a baby its hard not to..with washing bottles, diaper changes and when going out in public..Im washing my hands 10 times a day..and after I started doing this I hate a weird dull ache pain in my right thumb..it was weird and random but went away...its been atleast 3 weeks since its been gone and now im getting it in my other thumb..could this be from overwashing my hands??? also prior to this issue in both thumbs had a broken skin around the cuticle

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wash my hands between classes, when I come home, and probably going on 10x a day, too. I find a sharp pain mainly on my thumbs but on other fingers sometimes. I think if I'd use a hand cream after every wash that I'd be OK, but I don't take time to use it. What I have found that helps is that nu-skin stuff, maybe also known as liquid bandage, I drop some on the sore area and the area is then protected and heals well. If I wash it off, then I drop some more on. I used to put bandaids on the split or sore places, but the nu-skin is more hygienic that washing a bandaid.

Answer by Bmat at 3:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• ok so im assuming its from drying out our hands then? because im having the same problem, I dont have time to moisturize ...Im trying to get better about it but being a single parent I barely have time to wash my hands let alone put lotion on...DD needs much attention
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem. I worked as a CNA in a nursing home and we washed a ton of times. First use warm not hot or cold water, both lead to chapping and pain, use a mild soap and lots of lotion. If your hands are not overly soiled you can use hand sanitizer as well, although I found them too drying.

Hope this helps some and congratulatios on the baby.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Try wearing rubber gloves when cleaning, washing dishes, bottles, etc.
    Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion is great for really dry hands (and feet).
    Also try a cuticle cream/oil.
    Drink plenty of water too.
    Anonymous

• Dry skin can really start to hurt. There are many moisturizers out there. Cocoa butter is great. Cuticle oil too. I keep a bottle of lotion right on my kitchen sink so when I wash, dry then I hit the hand cream. I carry hand sanitizer and lotion in my purse as well.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009