"NO" & my 8 month old *first time mommy, please help*

My 8 month old DD is into EVERYTHING! She's been able to pull herself up to a stand for months and now she's able to stand without holding on to anything. She's been pulling things off my table, bookcase, trash can..you name, she's into it. When I say "NO" she just giggles and does it again. Is there anyway I can get her to understand the word "NO" without her thinking it's funny?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's too young to understand "NO". She's reacting to your energy. Just put things up and keep an eye on her. She exploring her world. Teach her bc punishing her is not going to be effective. She has no clue what you are saying but she sees your reaction to what she is doing.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• This is why we baby-proof.

Everything that is at baby-level (standing or sitting) should be safe AND playable with. Anything that is not should be moved.
    Anonymous

• This is why we baby-proof.

*Of course my house is baby-proof. Maybe I should get a rubber coffee table for her to play with, oh wait..even better maybe a trash can made of cupcakes, or better yet maybe I should just move to a padded cell :) I know she's going to get into things even if they're baby-proof. I just wanted to know if there was some way to make her understand that there are certain things she shouldn't get into.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• We started smacking their little hands at this age. We never have removed anything from its spot, and we could take our children and now our grandchildren anywhere without worrying about them bothering other people's things. She is able to understand "no" perfectly well. Children are born defiant and wanting to have their own way. You have to decide if you are going to teach her to obdy your authority and to respect what you say. Right now, she is in control. The earlier you teach her that Mommy is in control, the more peaceful will be your home and the happier will be your child. She will be more pleasant for you and everyone else to be around if she is taught early on to mind you. It also makes it much easier to transfer that authority to teachers, coaches, and everyone else under whose authority she will eventually be. Spanking her hands now and her behind later on is the best way I know to teach her to respect you
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Just move everything out of her way. She's too young for "no". You would spend all your time yelling at her, she is just curious. Put the garbage can up on a shelf or somewhere she can't get it. Take everything off the table...etc.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Thanks for your advice NannyB, but I decided a LONG time ago that I would NEVER hit my child. I don't want to slap her hands or bottom. I was hit as a child, and that's what I remember. I don't want her to have those memories.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If you are not willing to tap a hand then all you can do is either a)move everything (not practical in my opinion) or say no in a firm voice and remove her from the situation. It will take a while for her to understand you want her to move/stop when you say no but she will get it. Personally I dpnt want to spank dd either but I do plan to tap her hands. It will always be following verbal communication. I plan to tell her no and move her. If she goes back within like 5 min she will be told no and get a hand smack then moved. (she's on 3 months now but this worked for ds who's now 3) she won't remember getting her hand tapped at 8 months old. Just don't spank when she's older if you don't want to use that as a punishment. Good luck to you.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't know. My 9 month old doesn't understand NO, which I reserve for danger, but he does get redirection.

If he starts trying to get into something I do not want / go somewhere I don't want.. I turn him around and give him something more exciting to do.

Your baby will not understand NO until she is about a year old, or older. And whether or not she'll actually listen to the word, once she understands it, depends on how often you use it. If you say "NO!" to everything she does? she will never associate the word with "danger" or "bad!" .. So you need to use a different word and or none - reserve "NO!" for something truly dangerous. Because our first instinct is to yell "NO!!" about dangerous things - and if the word is told for -everything- the baby will never obey it.

You can't babyproof -everything- , but you can TRY! :) Corner and edge cushions.. everything up.. garbage lid lock.. oven lock.. etc. cont.
    Anonymous

• I also have one room where there is nothing he can get into and I am more relaxed, get a babygate and babyproof the heck out of one room .. until she's climbing things like my son is she can play freely in that room while you do whatever in the same room!!! Now he is climbing stuff tho so I have to get him off of everything constantly. Oh well, being a mom is a job lol
    Anonymous