What holidays do you celebrate this time of year?

I thought since we have such a diverse group here it would be cool to hear about all the different holidays, both religious and non-religious. So please post what you celebrate, without commenting on what others do and when the celebration starts and ends, and anything else you would like us to know.

Please be nice, this isn't to debate who's celebration is right or wrong, but for us to learn about one another.

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 3:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hanukkah

Anonymous

• Since I asked I'll answer first, We celebrate Christmas- both secular and religious aspects. We get a tree usually the second or third weekend of Dec, my twins birthday is the first weekend or near so we wait. We send out cards and decorate the house. And of course there are presents. Our church starts Advent services on the first Sunday of the month, we have an advent wreath and candles, as well as a Christmas tree. The music and sermons will be Christmas themed. On Christmas eve we go to visit my in laws and have cookies and eggnog. Sometimes we open presents with whomever isn't going to be there the next day. Then Christmas morning we do more presents, and after a big breakfast head to my mom's house for more presents and dinner. So pretty traditional.

Who's next?

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• anon 12:47--tell us more, please.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yule for ourselves and our beliefs.
    Christmas for the tradition and family get togethers.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Christmas and New Years.

Like OP a combo of the secular and religious - with the Christmas tree and the nativity scene at home.

I'm LDS, so we usually watch a broadcast of the Christmas dedication from the first presidency and apostles of the church at the beginning of the month complete with Mormon Tabernacle Choir doing their amazing singing.

...and even though I've lived in Utah for a few years now, I still haven't gone to see the Christmas lights at temple square in Salt Lake City, and I think I'd like to do that this year.
    Anonymous

• Yule for my family and if we travel back to our home state we celebrate Christmas with them.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• secular Christmas starting the 24th. we unwrap presents Christmas Eve & Santa brings the good stuff the next morning (all unwrapped). we do a tree, outside lights, & cards, but it isnt a celebration of Jesus' birth.

growing up my parents werent sure what to do about the whole "Christmas is Pagan" thing & the fact that Dec 25th cant be Jesus actual birthdate, so they made it a completely secular tradition in our house. my DD is still too little to "get" Christmas so me & DH havent decided which way were going to do things (he grew up non-practicing Christian, but celebrated Christmas).

DH & i have talked about celebrating Hanukkah as a celebration of God's power, but we aren't sure if that would be sacrilegious to the Jewish faith.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't celebrate I participate.

I like the "holiday" spirit, so I dont mind saying Merry Christmas. I dont put up lights or decortations anymore b/c that is a contridiction in so many ways. However on Thanksgiving I honor the Natives. On Christmas my entire family gets together to celebrate one of my (many) brother's birthday, born Dec. 25. I celebrate the new year in the spring as it was ment, and I on Jan. 1st I stay in and enjoy my family.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Advent, Christmas, St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 6th), New Year's, Mary the Mother of God (Jan. 1st), The Immaculate Conception of Mary (Dec. 8th).

I'm Roman Catholic Christian.

I don't view the tree as religious or not religious. It's just a family tradition as are lights. I also like listening to Christmas Music both religious and secular.

I love Christmas stuff! This is probably my favorite time of year (aside from Easter, of course--my other favorite time of year).
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Christmas in a secular fashion. We just decorated our tree yesterday. We decorate, we do a cookie exchange party, we make lots of cookies, we host Christmas Eve dinner with my mom and dad, and then have Christmas dinner at their house the next day. We also celebrate New Year's Eve... usually with a sleepover at my cousin's house. Dh and I are good friends with my cousin and his wife and his three kids are close in age to our three kids so it is always a blast! The only other seasonal celebration is my youngest child's birthday- Dec 20th.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2009