Is it Ok to lift weights, do abs, squats etc, while TTC/preg?

Hi,

I am TTC and I was wondering if it's OK to continue my workout routine as I am trying and possible already am pregnant. I bench, lift weights, do a 15 ab Lab, etc. Has anyone ever had a similar routine and got pregnant? Did you continue the same routine into the pregnancy?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my vote is yes. my pregnancy book that my midwife gave me says to continue any exercise you were doing before as long as you feel comfortable and you are doing it safely (as in what would be safe for a non-pregnant woman) there was even a little feature of a previous olympics skier who continued skiing after her OB okayed it. she just started doing only the safe hills and when there weren't many others on the slopes. the book i have is Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth if you're curious
    Anonymous

• Yes. You can continue your routine as long as it's comfortable for you and as long as you don't try to increase the amount of weight you lift or the intensity of you work out. Somethings may get harder to do as you get bigger, bench press can be difficult because you wrist can become sore and weaker when you're pregnant, you also shouldn't be flat on you back after a certain point so you may have to modify things like going a little lighter and doing incline bench press. Same with abs, you'll have to find ways to modify ab workouts after a while. Squats and a lot of other leg exercises can get a lot more difficult as your belly gets bigger.

Your goal should be to maintain your muscle the best you can (you'll probably have to cut back a little towards the end), don't try to make any "gains" while pregnant.

While TTC I'd keep my workouts the same, keep pushing yourself etc.

Check out the Work it Out Sexy Mama Group!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You can continue whatever your workout is even after you conceive. Plank exercises make a good substitute for crunches if you are worried about doing crunches however you wont smoosh the baby or anything if you do keep doing crunches. All the rest are fine, even suggested to do, while TTC and beyond. When I got pregnant I was in the process of loosing weight and was working out on average 3 hours a day. I'd do an hour cardio and then lots of strength workouts throughout the day as well as taking a 30 minute walk with DD. The month I got pregnant I had lost 20 lbs and I continued loosing some weight even till now and I'm 14 weeks. Although now that theres no morning sickness I'm sure I'm gaining it all right back lol! GL
    knfisch

Answer by knfisch at 12:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2009