Any ideas how to incorporate my old wedding dress into a backdrop for my daughters reception?

anya1301

Asked by anya1301 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in About CafeMom

• When my husbands cousin got married they had her Mom, her grandmothers and her great grandmothers gowns. We put them on sewing manequins and placed them in in front of a beautiful folded screen. Each dress had the name, date and relationship of the wearer to the bride. A picture of the bride in the dress too if available. We used tissue paper to plump sleeves and bustlines as needs. We also had a book for people to make comments or leave notes. Several much older guests noted remembering seeing the bride of one dress or another. I though it worked well as a memory of family.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• maybe they could have a table linen made for their reception table (just their table) they could keep it and use it for special occassions in the future too.

or have a quilt made with something special sewn in

shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't do anything that involved destroying it! Could you save it for DD's daughter? What is old always comes back in fashion, and maybe your grand daughter would want to wear it someday?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• What about making it the table cloth for the wedding cake table?
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 4:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I was also going to recommend putting the dress on a sewing mannequin. This way it wouldn't be destroyed. as GrneyedGrandma suggested, having a pretty screen behind the dress and a printed description of whose it is and when it was worn would be nice. If any of the other family gowns are available, this would be a chance to show them off, too- grandma's, a great aunt's, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 4:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Oh my gosh I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of putting it on a mannequin! VERY special and doesnt ruin the dress!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• just remember its gonna be your daughters day(not your day all over again) you don't wanna do anything too wacky like putting your dress up for show. Do something special and from your heart
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009