19 month old not talking.

What could be the cause? No real words yet...just occasionally their own version of babbling. Is this anything to be concerned over??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There may or may not be a problem. If there is, early intervention is always best.

My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Yeah my sons 21 months and still no solid talking yet- no sentences or anything. He's trying though in the last few months hes said a couple words (I think he did) but he only does once and will NOT repeat it, just sometimes give a smug grin when we try to get him to say it again
    Just hang in there, my nephew didnt start talking till after his second birthday, now at 3 hes a cute lil chatterbox
    pregojen

Answer by pregojen at 4:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• is your 19 month old the only child? alot of times if they have brothers or sisters they dont talk cuz they dont have to and my daughter is 2 and hasn't been talking long maybe 3-4 months cuz my son talked for her but now that he is in school she has a chance to talk and she talks non stop alot i cant make out and alot she just says over and over she will ask 5 million times aday wheres nana? or wheres brother? some kids are slower talkers than others and dont let anyone tell you theres anything wrong with your child
    kcook55

Answer by kcook55 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You'll get lots of stories about people whose children were speaking in sentences well before your child's age but many children don't talk before two years. Until I logged on here I had never heard of a child speaking at all before two. I've heard those with more than one say their second and third spoke sooner than the first because they had the first to help teach the subseqent children. My son didn't talk until after he turned two. He's almost four now and doesn't stop talking. If you're very worried you should talk to your son's doctor. They will be able to reccomend what to do.
    Anonymous

• If he is consistently making the same sounds to mean the same things, even if it's not the way you say it, then those should be counted as words. If he isn't at least attempting to talk at 19 months or if you aren't sure, then I would make a call to the pediatrician or early intervention. If he isn't saying anything at all he might have a hearing problem. Early intervention can test your child and find out if there is anything to be worried about. I have boy/girl twins, and because my daughter was saying so much more than my son I was worried about him. Early Childhood Intervention tested him and let me know that he was actually only about a month behind, which was a huge relief. He didn't test far enough behind to qualify for therapy, but they admitted him as "atypical qualification" meaning his speech delay was not in sync with his other skills where he tested ahead for his age. His progress has been amazing.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My son is two years old, he started talking in full snetance's untill he was about 19 months. Maybeyour child is talking and you dont realize it. My son was talking but thought it was babbling because he would slur his words and talk real quiet, so i wasnt able to understand so i just took it as babbleing
    lindseylovesyou

Answer by lindseylovesyou at 6:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my son is not really talking either, maybe just a few things that sometimes sound like words, he is 18 months, he is in our early on program in Michigan too,
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son wasn't talking at 18 months and our pediatrician recommended having him evaluated by Early Intervention. He made great progress with the help of speech therapy. With that said, a friend's son still isn't talking at 2 and her doctor isn't concerned. Personally, I'd have him evaluated by EI (or your state's equvalent). If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind if there isn't any concern and help if there is. Good luck! (by the way, at 18 months a child should have between 10 and 20 words. Speaking in full sentences isn't typical so don't use that as your measure. As the other poster mentioned, "word" at this age is simply a consistent sound used for a specific purpose. It may not sound like the real word. So, "ba" used consistently for "ball" is considered a word.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009