IUD?

Has anyone had an IUD..and what is the percentage of people who become pregnant with one? Just had a second baby and would like to wait a few years before having another.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a copper tip one for a year without getting pregnant. I had some painful cramping the first week, but after that I pretty much forgot about it except to check the string location once a month. I had it removed and got pregnant 4 mos later.

It was a good option for me since I can't take hormonal birth control. My dr discovered I had some fibroids after my c-section so he recommended not using one after that.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It is extremely low. I've known quite a few women that have a IUD and none of them (or myself) have gotten pregnant while on it. I believe the actual statistic is less than 1 out of 100 women.
    I hated the Mirena, but had it for 5 years, but I did not get pregnant while on it.
    Anonymous

• thay say it is a 1 in 100 chance. i got one and i hated it, i blead for the 3 months i had it and the threads actually scratched my husbands penis! however my doctor said that my experience was a rare occurance, that they work wonderfully for most people.
    Anonymous

• I have had both the mirena and the copper (right now the copper) both are incredibly easy. I would recommend the copper because with mirena I gained 50 plus pounds, and then after having it removed it took me a year and a half to get pregnant again, when the packaging and the doctors all said that after removal it is like you never had any bc at all. WRONG! In a year and a half I only had three periods, so month after month of TTC, I hated taking pregnancy tests because I got sick of seeing not pregnant. With the copper, I have not had any issues other than heavier, longer periods, but that is it.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i had mirena for almost a year and a half. over all it did its job but i had worse sypmtoms than on the pill. i had it removed july 23 and found out i was 5 weeks pregnant on november11, so 3 cycles later. nest time im getting the copper paragaurd iud, no hormones.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I had a copper IUD in for about one year and became pregnant with my 4th baby on it. I am now 19weeks pregnant. i don't think there are many women who become pregnant with one in though. i think its one out of 100 or close to it. I wanted one more, but not so soon. i guess this pregnancy was meant to be. i just happend to be the 1 out of 100 that got pregnant with an IUD in.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2009