If you quit smoking how did you do it?

I tried cold turkey twice lasted about a day the first time and maybe 4 days the second time. I tried the patch once and smoked within 24 hours of the first one. I had to go to the ER--nicotine overdose! I guess I should have read the entire box. When I tried the gum, I chewed so much my jaw hurt, but it lasted probably a month or so. I didn't get very good results until I started taking bupropion. Then the first time it lasted about 2 months and this time almost two years. Dec 5th it'll be two years.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Health

• i said i wasn't going to smoke when we moved into our new home, and i quit. almost cold turkey. my last pack lasted a week, and that was it.
    when taking bruproprion hydrochloride i did quit briefly, but it was not worth the other side affects of the meds... sexual side affects are undesirable, along with dry mouth, and a couple others...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i have quit once. i have tried countless times. the problem is i enjoy smoking. when i succeeded it was because i was in a frame of mind that i didnt feel like i needed enjoyment from it. you really have to want to quit.....it cant be "i need to quit" or "i have to quit" it has to be "i WANT to quit"
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I cut back on my smoking tell I was a half a pack a day. Then I just stopped cold turkey. That was 14 years ago. Never smoked again. It was not easy. It took at least a month or two not to want a cigarette. It took a year to be able to be around smoker. I could not stand the smell

Answer by louise2 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Well I quit when I found out I was pregnant with my first DD. I had been wanting to quit so when I found out I just quit cold turkey. Sorry it's no help, just wanted to share.
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2009