How can I reinforce potty training while I work full time and daddy isnt home?

My grandmother watches my 21 month old son during the day time and I have had to stop potty training when he was doing rather good becuase basically it came down to only training on the weekends and after 3pm. I've told her countless times, dont put him in diapers, he has pull ups and take him to the potty- but when I get there, I can tell there has been no kind of activity with the potty only less diapers-same amount of pull ups. One day I hid the diapers and only left out pull ups- she bought diapers for him so she could just change him.
I dont know what else to do- I cant afford daycare, and daddy goes to work almost the same hours that I do.
How can I reinforce this so he knows to go potty- not just anytime in his diaper? Its been so inconsistent cuz she cant just take him potty instead of changing him

pregojen

Asked by pregojen at 4:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you sure that he is ready?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Unless you get grandma on board there is nothing you can do. 21 months for a boy is kind of young IMO, maybe grandma doesn't think he is ready.
    Anonymous

• I'm positive, he first only wanted to sit on it for a sticker, but I stopped giving stickers unless it wasnt a false alarm, that worked pretty good, within a day or two he was telling me he had to go, and sometimes he kinda squats down when he goes potty and I still rush him to the bathroom when I see that, but I can tell he thinks its pointless cuz only mommy and daddy do that when we're home. I think he's just noticing that only we think its good/imortant for him to use his "big boy potty"
    pregojen

Answer by pregojen at 4:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Maybe you need to sit grandma down and explain that you really need her on board for this. Ask her to put him on potty every hour and to ask him through out day if he needs to go to bathroom. Maybe grandma needs a reward for him going on the potty. Good Luck - I know it is tough to potty train only some of time and not all the time.
    Anonymous

• cuz he came up to me a couple times and said (in his form of communication) that he ahd to go, we rushed over there, and he went. Granted there were a few false alarms, and from what I gathered he went a lil too soon, and a few times when he went right after we tried to go potty, but I know that he's ready.

I thought it was just bs before when I'd hear mother say "you'll know when its time" but I believe it now, I just now he's ready. We tried a coulpe months ago cuz I thought it was a good time, but after a brief attempt I realized it wasnt his time
    pregojen

Answer by pregojen at 4:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• If you can't get grandma to cooperate and you can't change sitters, I'd say put it on hold and wait until you can take a full week's vacation and stay home with him.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure why people insist on offering unsolicited judgments like "are you sure he's ready" rather than offering advice on what you actually asked about, which is a fully relevant question... Contrary to the current myth, kids can train -- and rather easily -- before 2 years old, and without damage to their psyche. I would talk to g-ma and explain how important it is to you, and how crucial it is that he have consistency in his training. If she absolutely refuses to cooperate, you are stuck with waiting. If you can have just a few days with him, though, I think you can make huge progress so that she won't have much "work" (cleaning up accidents, if that's what she's afraid of?). But I believe that kids train best when they have consistent expectations to live up to... the second you put him in a diaper (pull-ups, too, in my personal opinion), the message is all the sudden mixed and the results, too.
    Anonymous

• Consistency is the most important thing. Potty training once and a while or half of the day won't work. Don't hide the diapers, get rid of them all together, then Grandma won't have a choice but to take him to the potty of he can pee on her floor :)
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009