How soon is to soon to fly with a newborn? Planning to fly for the holidays? How old were your babies during first flight?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 4:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids have never been on a flight. Personally, I wouldn't take a baby on a plane. Maybe a 3-4 yr old, but not younger than that.

I guess I'm weird.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I flew a short distance (1 hour flight) with my baby when she was about 4 months old and a long distance (8+ hours flight) when she was 7 months old. She was fine for both, but the 8+ hour flight nearly did me in!
    Anonymous

• I had to fly from Anchorage AK to Seattle WA with my 2.5 mo old. She was breech and we were referred down to Seattle right away for x-rays and doctor opinions. She's now 2 and has flown for 5 trips (10 flights altogether). Sh's done great every time! When she was under a year I would make sure to feed her as we took off and landed, and now I try to get her to drink more during landing and taking off. And they were only 3 hour flights...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Both of my kids flew at 4 months - - they nursed and slept the whole way
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• my son was 1 month old when he went on his first plane.... I did a lil research cuz it was a last min thing... but keep a bottle on hand so that your baby can suck on it or bring a passafir... what that does is keep your baby from having discomfort with his ears...
    Rosiej32

Answer by Rosiej32 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• get a wrap or a snugly they're MUCH easier to travel with baby - and easy to nurse to land and liftoff.

Anonymous

• 3 weeks. That was after a csection and I had the ok from my OB and the pediatrician. 4 hour flight
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My eldest was 1 years old, my second born was 5 weeks old when I took them for the first time on a plane. My third rode for the first time when she was a year and a half and my youngest was around that age too when he rode.

My best suggestion if you're flying with a little baby or toddler is to bring something you know is entertaining to them, maybe even purchase a few new items you think they'd like (nothing big or loud obviously). If it’s a small baby they’ll more than likely feed and sleep, but if it’s on pacifier then bring that. If you don't breastfeed have formula and bottles at hand, and if it's a toddler have sippy cups and snacks. Now days they are really picky at what they'll allow on the plane so you may need to look up what is allowed or not. None of my children had issues with flying, I kept them fed and entertained quietly.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My oldest son now is 35 yrs old.... and when he was only 2 months, I flew from Puerto Rico to Hartford, Connecticut.... it was OK.
    adita1152

Answer by adita1152 at 7:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2009