Do you ever spunk your kids? How old are they?

I have a daughter who's almost 5 and I have never spunked her. My husband thinks he should not spunk her because he's a man and he could even hurt her, but he thinks I should sometimes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Spunk? What's a spunk?
    Anonymous

• do you mean spank? If so yes my 5 year old gets spanked
    SebsMom29

Answer by SebsMom29 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I spank my 7 year old and I have been since she turned about 3 1/2 to 4 years old. When she knew what NO really meant.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• yup, i spank too. my dd only got spanked a couple of times, that was all that was needed for her to know that i was serious when i said no. she's now 14 and really great kid. her last spanking was about 9yrs ago. my 2 year ago is quickly learning.
    Anonymous

• i gave my son spankings when he was about 2...i used my hand and i never did it too hard but i got my point across when he didnt listen to no. I have'nt had to spank him since the 2's...he has been pretty well behaved and he understands when i say no i mean no
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I spank both my children. Its a last resort though. They know that when it comes to that then its time to listen. My 5 yr old is learning that listening is a good idea and my 4 yr old isnt far behind his sister.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I did not spank my sons who I call the guys. I was spanked, and that lead to beating. Not spanking my kids was a parenting choice I made.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My son is three and we have both made the commitment to not spank. We don't regret it. I have known it was the best thing for him and for us...but our recent conference with his teachers certainly added to our confidence. It was said he is gentle, compassionate, and out of all the kids - expresses his feelings, including when he is upset, with his words. He is able to articulate what he is thinking and feeling allowing his teachers to assist him in finding the appropriate solutions. If we spanked he would not have this skill.  He listens and truly cares when we are disappointed in his poor choices.  He asks us to help him make better choices and to show him how to do things differently when he has made a mistake.  Spanking may indicate he did something wrong but it doesn't help him to understand how he should correct his behavior for next time.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I haven't spanked my son since he was 4 and rarely before that. Spanking teaches fear not respect and spanking does not change the behavior. Children are not mini adults and they need to be taught and SHOWN how to act apppropriately.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• We do not spank. We also do not yell, my children are 5,4 and 2 and are very well behaved. I believe there is always a way...you do not have to hit your children.
    Anonymous