Should teen kids be paid to babysit their younger siblings? If so, how much?

jchka

Asked by jchka at 6:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• When my oldest could babysit the youngest, I wanted to take advantage of it but I couldn't afford to pay what I would pay another sitter. Since I depended on them both doing their part to make it work, I rewarded them both with a book, an activity a special treat like the movies. My older always has received an allowance and there was an increase when she took on the responsibility of staying home with her sibling.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i wasn't ever paid and there was 7 yrs between us and i started at 13
    parkeralexismom

Answer by parkeralexismom at 6:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i think u can consider it a chore, cause it's not their duty to watch the kids really, so i'd say maybe 5 bucks a day for full time or 10 bucks part time, or promise them something they really want, like if my son does something i ask i'll promise him a video game.
    mgm_5

Answer by mgm_5 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Depends. If its a daily thing, like they look after their siblings after school..it could be their weekly chore... its part of being a family. You help out. My teens have specific jobs that they get paid for. One has to hang out and bring in the washing. The other vaccuums the whole house once a week and sweeps the kitchen dining rooms every night. they get paid for this. But its not all that they do. If I need to go out quickly and leave them to look after the little ones..they are not getting paid for it.
    People are making kids lazy these days IMO. If they are seen helping out around the house they are slave drivers. Compared to what I had to do as a kid (unpaid at that) my kids are lazy spoilt brats. Good luck to you :-)
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I say yes, it teaches them the value of working for a dollar. It may be their younger siblings but it is teaching them responsibility.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• yes. I would pay 10 for a full day
    Anonymous

• My dd watches her younger brother on occasion. I don't pay her she likes watching him. If my hubby and I ever decided to go out then I would pay her.
    Although I do consider watching him not her responability. So I give her money to go to the movies, starbucks etc. when she asks because of her willingness to help out.
    If she had to watch him everyday because of us working then I would pay her. After all she would be giving up other activities and time with friends.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• That depends on whether it is considered a job or a chore. If it is a job, are they expected to do other things, such as prepare breakfast and lunch? Clean up those meals and the preparation of them?
    kaseysmommy1003

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• therare 12 years between my little brother and i and my big brother and i had to watch him all the time our parents said if your here all day your going to help us with him.so my big brother got a job just to get out of it but i wasnt old enough for that yet so i had him every evening and every saturday, the only was i could make plans is if i made them with him. so i say ask them to help ya out, if that dont work tell them they have to and reward them for it, but not every week.
    mackison74

Answer by mackison74 at 5:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think it's fair to pay an older sibling, maybe not the rate you'd pay a stranger, but why not? They could be babysitting someone else's children and getting $$. Why not keep them for yourself..after all who knows your children better than theier own siblings.
    susanandgirls

Answer by susanandgirls at 11:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2008