How do you guys keep a 22mo. from messing with the Christmas tree?

just wanting some ideas, because last year was easier since he was bearly walking...but i ended up putting a coffe table in front of it which looked kinda bla

guitarmom101

Asked by guitarmom101 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let my 24 month old help decorate the tree. All of my nicer ornaments weren't brought out this year- only toddler safe models. My son really enjoys taking them on and off of the tree. In the morning I let him watch me plug in the lights and we "rearrange" any ornarments that need it.
    Also, I bring him to stores to look at Christmas Tree displays (we are pretty bored in my neck of the woods). he loves looking at the trees. Occasionally I will buy a new ornament that he helps pick out (Kohl's has them for $2, WalMart, etc)
    I think that by allowing him to take part in the tree decorating he isn't as tempted to be rough with it.
    Good Luck- just keep an eye on the kid so the tree doesn't fall down on him (of course) Merry Christmas!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• tell him its hot
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Put big, wrapped, weighted boxes around the tree. Put a small tree on a tall table. Hang a tree from the ceiling. Decorate a tree or put a tree outside a window.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• You don't! haha Sorry.....mine was allll over the tree too. Just put the ornaments up higher than they can reach at least. Just give it a few more days...... It is something new and exciting and as they get used to it being there they are less inclined to mess with it. That is the story with mine when he was that age!
    ButterflyMeli

Answer by ButterflyMeli at 5:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• We had a bendable baby gate system that we placed around our tree for a couple of years! I also only put unbreakable ornaments at the bottom, and my nicer keepsake ornaments out of reach! We also tethered the tree to the floor moulding to keep it from falling over.

As far as we were concerned, Christmas is for the children, and wanted them to be able to touch things, but we just didn't want them to pull on the branches or knock it over.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• just be extra careful cuz my nephew got ahold of a mini glass ball last year he was about 16 months and put it in his mouth and it busted into tiny peices of glass all in his mouth.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Maybe one of those outdoor baby gates around it? (or something like it that's shorter/less expensive)
    Anonymous

• When mine was that age, I just didn't put it back up after he pulled it down on himself after it had been up two days...
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Put baby gate around it, thas what my sons dad does at his house, since i dont do christmas. the baby gate looks alittle weird, but better than a cofee table, and also if you havea small child people will understand why its there
    lindseylovesyou

Answer by lindseylovesyou at 6:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• We put all breakable ornaments out of his reach and let "baby-safe" ones towards the bottom. We endlessly reminded him that you look at the tree but don't touch it. We also put it into a room that he wasn't always in which helped. Regardless, make sure to secure it to the wall.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009