I think my daughter might have ADD.

I got a progress report today for my 6 year old daughter saying she is daydreaming often and not focused. What should I do ? How can I get her tested? Are there things I can do at home to help her be more focused at school?

SolizBeserra

Asked by SolizBeserra at 5:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She's a young child. She mostly likely hasn't developed the ability to "sit still, be quiet, and pay attention" just yet. I wouldn't write her off as ADD yet. She's really not old enough for that.

If she's daydreaming she could be bored or completely lost.

Check the net for some attention span exercises for young children.

Also take a good look at her diet. Is she getting enough protein? Your diet can affect your attention span and concentration.
    Anonymous

• Before you go any further I would suggest setting up a conference with her teacher to find out more about your daughter's behavior at school. If this is the first time this has come to your attention and she isn't having similar issues at home then it probably isn't ADD, but it still needs to be addressed. If you are having similar problems at home and your daughter's teacher leads you to believe her lack of focus is significant then put in a call to your pediatrician. Your pediatrician can refer you to a specialist who can test your daughter. If you are uninsured or unable to afford testing, then talk to the school and they will know where to refer you for help.
    Anonymous

• actually shes not to young to be checked for it.. my son is 5 and i think he has ADHD and they usually find it before 7.. talk to her doctor.. but look up all the sytomps first before taking her.. i did that for my son and he them all but like 2..
    StressdOutmommy

Answer by StressdOutmommy at 6:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Is it possible that she is bored?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• im amazed at how fast people are to jump to the conclusion or possibility of a disorder for young children.

I agree that she could be bored, unable to focus or just lost.... maybe the teacher isn't too engaging in class.

I agree with others to find some excercises or talk to teacher about it...she may just be too bored.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Look they tried to tell me my daughter was ADD, but in all reality finding out after doping her up on medication that she just wasn't mentally developed for the grade she was in. My daughter started school early because of the birthday thing. She was 4 when she started school and turned 5 after already in there. People are so quick to say these kids have A.D.D. instead of letting them grow. And the only reason is is that they want their undivided attention. Back in Kindergarden did you honestly start learning math and eveything else. Back 22 years ago I was making projects and gifts to take home to my mom, having story time, nap time, and working with apples, and trees outside. Don't dope your kid up quite yet.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• The mother is not jumping to the conclusion that the girl has it you idiots. She wants to know about having her tested. She wants to rule it out! And she didn't say anything about "doping" her kid up!!!!

OP...you can talk to your doctor about taking her to a developmental pediatrician and/or a psychologist...or if your insurance will cover it, just take her on your own. There is nothing wrong with being PROACTIVE in the well-being of your kid and starting somewhere when you think there might be a problem, to discover what that problem might be!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Maybe she is bored, but how the hell is the mother supposed to know that if she doesn't rule out any other potential problems???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• OK I will talk with her teacher & pediatrician. I guess I was looking for exercises to help her focus at school, She is okay at home when it comes to homework, yeah she sometimes daydreams, but i think we all might be guilty of that?

Oh it's her teachers first year teaching, does that matter that I think that she is a bit unexperienced?

Her diet is good. she can control her body, There is no like hyperness.

So I saw lost and bored, what can I do to help her ?
    SolizBeserra

Answer by SolizBeserra at 12:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I needed my son on Adderall when he was 5 turning 6 in November 2008 as soon as he got in kindergarden cause he was so bad then and lying all the time no matter all the grounding, detentions or talks he had. This yr in 1st grade the 1st week he got in trouble to where the teacher called me and said he had a horrble week and was very bad. Also the office here at my apartments one of the I believe managers came to my house and said my son was hitting others at the bus stop and if it happened again I was gonna get evicted. So I got papers from the school and doctors and filled my part out and the teacher filled out their part and they matched which the questions were about behavior, listening, respect, homework, and other stuff. So they said yes to gettin him on meds. It has calmed him down. But I think hes still doing other things hes not supposed to be doing still, and hes still stealing here at home and school
    Anonymous