Crying it out?

Can anyone tell me how this works and how long it takes before the baby is sleeping.
I'm trying to get my almost 2 month old son to sleep in his crib and this will be a last resort if nothing else works. Any advice on how to get him to sleep in there is also appreciated thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 months old is too young to start, min. starting age should be 6 months. up until then, they really NEED you or something else. if you start much earlier it can do some damage for the baby - my son slept in my arms, the bassinet, in a boppy, the swing for 4 months, he never co-slept but almost every other way cause he had colic and wouldn't sleep well. try even the carseat. don't cry it out this young, I am far from against it, so I am not bashing it like you are going to get bashed on, its truly just too early - nothing wrong with a couple minutes but my son when I did this was 8 months old and he literally cried for up to 2 hours or more - he's 2 now, and its only been at bedtime - he is already showing signs of not taking a nap anymore - he's a fighter when it comes to sleep.. he hates it! lol!~!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• 2 months old is too young to CIO.
    If your baby is crying at that age it's because he needs something.
    Baby's at that age need held, snuggled and loved. He spent 9 months inside you.
    Try swaddling the baby before putting him down. For some babies the tightness of the swaddle gives the illusion of being cuddled or nestled in the womb.
    Anonymous

• Well, you have to be strong and dedicated. What you need to remember is that crying DOES NOT hurt anyone. It's actually good for the development of their lungs. If the baby is fed, dry and nothing else wrong, lay him in his crib and leave him there. He is totally fine. You can even close the door if you need to. Just go about your business. It's more of an adjustment for you than him. Lots of people have done this and yes it works. At some point in you and your child's life, you have to let them cry. You cannot cater to them 24/7. Just remember, there is nothing wrong with letting them cry. It does absolutely no harm to anyone.
    Anonymous

• CIO is strongly discouraged before the age of 6 months.
    Anonymous

• At that young an age, if baby is crying, it is because he needs you. For whatever reason. I still consider 8 weeks newborn! Or just growing out of newborn stage. I would not expect much as far as sleeping and scheduling right now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• CIO is fine for them, read Babywise. It's hard to do but it works. They don't need anything, they WANT something, there's a difference.
    wanttoadopt0707

Answer by wanttoadopt0707 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• For INFANTS, their needs and wants are one in the same. I can't believe anyone would just let an 8 week old baby cry. That's way too young. They cry to communicate!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Anon #2, yes crying hurts.. http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/pinky_mckay.html
    wanttoadopt0707, Babywise is junk. His own children won't talk to him and won't let him see his grandkids. He has no training in either child development or nutrition. Besides, when our babies want something, it is with pretty pure intentions. Why withhold?
    OP - is he not going to sleep in his crib or is he waking up at night?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• op here, everytime i put him in his crib he crys and crys he will only sleep if he is next to me.
    Anonymous

• i think its too young for CIO.

My son still cries when he goes to bed...but because he is smart enough to know he is missing out on something and wants to stay up and play.

2 months and crying means he needs something, even if its just comfort.

Try motion...my son was colic and wouldn't sleep at 2 months unless he was MOVING ALL THE TIME... needless to say we used the swing a lot.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009