What the heck is the right answer to this??

I am rarely left speechless, but!

I had a potential customer email me about a specialty item. Her request specifically asked if it would arrive in time for CHRISTMAS. I emailed back stating it would. She makes purchase, I ship today and send email stating it has shipped and "Merry Christmas." I get an email bashing my "Merry Christmas!" It didn't just bash, but slammed up and down.

I responded to her "in time for Christmas" and apparently I was wrong. I just feel like saying "HUH." How am I supposed to know there is no Chrismas when there was already Christmas?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 5:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I simply wouldn't answer to her. Purchase is made, customer was lost, move on.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 6:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• See this is were the old using your noggin and being PC at all times comes in to play. Enjoy the holidays works well in my book. I'd think as a business owner who works with the general public you might just want to err on that side.

I know some here hate the old pc stance utilized by many, but when you own a business which is dependent on paying customers, AND are clearly bothered by an unhappy customer and a less than stellar review, than I think it's time to revisit your personal policy. Either that or accept your shrinking client base and get accustom to the quirky emails-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Special- I know that do are fully aware that fully 26% of the adult US populace (latest stat I believe from 2005) has a mental illness.These are folks that you will never be able to predict presented behaviors (or placate/make happy)-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• She didn't really care. She is probably one of those people who just baits you with a Christmas order and then pounces when you makes a natural inference. I would just let it roll off. The problem is with her. You go right ahead and say Merry Christmas when someone orders something that needs to be there in time for Christmas.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My personal policy is Merry Christmas, hence the big Christmas sale she purchased from. This is the first time in 8 years as a business owner I have been bashed for using Merry Christmas. Christmas is afterall a FEDERAL holiday. The only reason she received a personal email was that we had emailed back and forth. It just left me going HUH? The item according to her own statement was a Christmas gift!

You know, if someone chooses not to shop with me because I celebrate Christmas, that is their loss not mine. They won't find better quality or price anywhere. Thankfully my business has grown each year it has been open. If I don't stand up for my principles who will?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I don't think you did anything wrong, especially since the customer questioned the ETA in relation to Christmas. It is only logical that you would assume she was celebrating that holiday. I would have assumed the same. For her to get so bent out of shape over it boggles my mind. I'm one who takes no issue in saying Happy Holidays to those I know, or am not sure of, not to celebrate Christmas. I don't take issue when someone of another faith wishes me Happy Hanukkah or Yule, etc. But I do think this particular customer overreacted to simple well wishes.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Sisteract, you are right about there being some people you will never make happy! There are some odd people out there!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• wreath

MERRY CHRISTMAS!  Don't let the trolls steal your spirit !!!

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I work the general population and you can never add 1+1 and calculate the answer to be 2. Obviously, we'd all love to be able to be true to ourselves, our beliefs and our convictions, but sadly, in order to work with the public and stay employed you learn to place yourself to the side once you enter the workplace. The best approach, you do your job and say very little otherwise-Special, you're in a great position in that you own your business. Had you been an employee and the boss had received that email, you'd be in a whole different situation. Probably, why I tend to be pc-my employer demands that approach.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• It's YOUR business and you can say as you please...
    I took pride in hand stamping and sending out Merry Christmas cards this year to my clients.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2009