Why did I need the MMR again?

After I had my son, the hospital said I no longer had MMR immunity so they revaxed me even though I was vaxed as a child. I am pregnant again...is it possible I am not immune again during this pregnancy? What causes this and why do I keep neededing to get revaxed???

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Health

• The vaccineonly lasts about 10-15 years. ( I think I don't remember the actual amount.) Most adults are no longer immune. You should be fine since you had it recently.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Some women test negative for the titre every time. You can always refuse the vaccine...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Also depending on your age you could have only gotten one or two vaccines as a child. When I was little they only required 1, when I went to school to become a nurse I needed 2 more to be "up to date and protected".
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I only got 1 MMR my whole life. Our family doc recommended 3. My mom barely vaxed me or my sibs. My blood work came back fine and I have super immunity even though I am under vaxed for it.

The PP is right. You can always refuse the vaccine. Plus, how many people in the US really get mumps?

Lab tests can be wrong! You can always request a retest.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I had to get an MMR booster at 18 and I had measles as a child. The MMR is NOT just for mumps, it is also for measles and rubella. As others said, you can always refuse the vaccine. But getting measles while pregnant is very unsafe and can cause major problems for the mother and unborn baby. You should be fine now that you had the booster though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2009