Is it true that a Catholic/Christian Hospital won't tie your tubes?

I have a schedule C-section planned and I want to have my tubes tied. My DH told me that the hospital I have planned will not allow my doctor to tie my tubes in their hospital because its against their beliefs. I love the hospital, I think its an excellent facillity but I think its wrong to get cut open again because of their beliefs. I really am hoping this is just an old practice because my only option is another hospital I'm not to fond of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholic, no (though doctors have been known to do so under the radar); Christian, maybe.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I was not allowed to have my tubes tied at the catholic hospital I delivered at.
    Anonymous

• Not sure but it will be interesting to find ou!!!
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 6:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My sister was not allowed to have it done at our local Catholic hospital. My sister had to go in later and have it done at a surgical center not associated with the hospital. Call your doc and find out.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• WOW now they can decide the life of your reproductive organs because it isn't about you, your life of course it's all about their beliefs. I would be finding another hospital yesterday.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 6:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My aunt wasn't allowed to get hers done.....she had my cousins at St.Anne's Catholic Hospital.

Have you checked into Essure?

It's Permanent birth control without the cutting. They do it with a scope thru your cervix. I had it done at the my yearly pap....See if you can get that!
    http://www.essure.com/
    Anonymous

• Yes.
    I was scheduled to give birth via c/section to my last child and have a tubal.
    A week before my delivery date my dr informed me(cuz he was a putz and failed to inform me earlier)that they couldnt do a tubal at that hospital cuz it was catholic ran and they dont allow them.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

OP here: I only have the option of two hospitals and the Catholic one is far better, my doctors are the same though so I'm considering it.
    Thanks anon 6:35, I'm gonna check it out now.
    Anonymous

• Most Catholic hospitals won't. Or, at least, they didn't used to. I had 2 of my kids at a Christian (non-Catholic) hospital and when I went to have my 3rd the nurse asked me if I was getting my tubes tied and I freaked out. She just assumed I would since I was having my 3rd child in just over 2 years. But I was only 25.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

This isn't something new, my mom wanted hers tied after she had my sister. (almost 18 years ago) They didn't do it and then a few years later she had my brother lol. After she had him, they did a hysterectomy (sp?) It was done for other reasons though, not just that she wanted to be "fixed". It's simple, you have a choice, if you don't like how they do business, don't buy their goods lol. Hospitals, after all, are a huge business. Maybe when they see they're losing customers by being set in their ways, they'll make some changes. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009