Verizon

So, my DH got this thing that you hook to your computer and it goes off your service so you get internet. Well, my DH went and got it. It was like $30 and it didn't work where we lived, so he took it back the next day and they refunded his $30. Well, I guess they added a line to our account when they gave us that card, so when we got our bill, they terminated that phone number and charged us with an almost $300 early termination fee. If we knew that, we wouldn't have done it in the first place. I just want to know how Verizon can justify doing that, especially if the internet didn't work for us in the first place and we returned the next day, less than 24 hours later? My DH is going to call and try to argue it, but I have a feeling in the end we will just have to end up paying it.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 6:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yeah, verizon is crappy like that. Did you sign a contract when they added this other line for internet? Did they inform you of the early termination fee when you got the internet refunded? Those will be very good arguing points when you call them, but unfortunatly I think you may have to pay it also.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• depends on where you live.. there are some states that forbid them from charging you early termination fees.

I'd say fight and keep fighting it.

Threaten to take them to court as well as cancel your entire bill and move to another company.

Talk to corporate or a higher up person...chances are they will choose to cancel the charges rather then risk lawsuit and lost buisness, which would cost them a lot more in the long run.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• My DH works for verizon and he says you have 30 days to cancel. Send me an e-mail if it doesn't work out. My DH can talk you through the red tape.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Ok, thanks Farrahann. My DH is in the bedroom on the phone with them right now so I'm praying they fix it!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Verizon justifies anything, they are the biggest crooks ever!! I was with alltel for YEARS and never had a problem, now that they are verizon I'm leaving as soon as the contract is up!
    Anonymous