Women that seek abortions are not mentally sound?

All seven GOP candidates said abortion should be banned, with some favoring exceptions in a few specific instances. Five said that doctors violating such a ban should be imprisoned, and Bill Johnson, former director of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs, said he favored prison for doctors and patients involved in abortions.

"I am pro-life, no exceptions," Johnson wrote in an e-mail response to the Press-Register.

GOP candidate and former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore, would not say whether he thought that doctors or patients involved in abortions should be jailed, saying that matter should be up to the Legislature.

State Treasurer Kay Ivey, the only woman in the 2010 gubernatorial race, voiced the majority GOP view: "Doctors ought to know better, and when patients are desperately asking for that, their mental state is not necessarily sound."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As far as the article, the thing about jail time is just silly. Abortion is legal, and should remain so. Governors should focus on state issues. Why the focus on abortion so much. It just seems like there are more important things to deal with.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• http://blog.al.com/live/2009/11/gop_gubernatorial_candidates_f.html
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Women who seek abortions are not morally sound.
    Anonymous

• I think Mrs Ivey is not mentally sound; how about that?
    Anonymous

• Drama and a waste of time.
    It's a legally protected procedure, until the SUPREME COURT determines otherwise.
    If you do not believe in the procedure do not have 1.
    Morally sound-too made no one elected you judge and jury.
    anon=COWARD!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Wow.... this shows once again why I would NEVER vote for a GOP candidate. Seriously, unless they know the exact story of every woman who ever needed to get an abortion, they should just STFU. I wonder how they'd feel if their 13 year old daughter got raped and impregnated by a stranger, or worse, a family member. I wonder how they'd feel if a woman they loved was facing a pregnancy with NO hope of a viable birth at the end. I wonder how they'd feel then.

What's that saying, "judge not lest yea be judged"? Whoever made them judge and jury? Makes me sick... NOBODY has the right to tell a woman what to do with her own body, NOBODY.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• There may be some truth to that. It's not really saying that they are mentally ill, just that the are under a lot of stress and may not be in a state of mind to be making a decision as life-changing as abortion. I know first hand what a difficult experience it is to make that decision, and I can also say that many women may not be as strong emotionally or mentally as they are under normal circumstances. Some women do feel pressured by certain doctors just to make the decision and get it over with, they don't necessarily think it all the way through.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i can see banning publicly paid abortions... if a women wants to have an abortion she or her private insurance company should pay for it.

i am definately pro life, but respect others decisions and that i should have no say on what they do. I used to be pro-choice till i became pregnant and almost lost my son at birth...as well as see friends who desperately want children struggle.

As far as jail time..no its covered under the constitution that people can do whatever they want with thier bodies and untill the statue's about WHEN a fetus is considered a CITIZEN/PERSON changes this right will not change.

Also the article was written and only found on blogs... which makes me highly skeptical of its contents.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• the article was written and only found on blogs... which makes me highly skeptical of its contents.

I couldn't find any other "legitimate" sources that were carrying this "news story" so its reliability is in question.... can't really believe anything it says without something to back it up.

the old saying comes to mind "Don't believe everything you read" ......until you thoroughly fact check lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I seriously don't mean this in a disrespectful way; but I honestly am curious why another person's struggle to get pregnant has anything to do with one woman not wanting to carry a preg to term; for whatever reasons.

Anonymous