Why does 2 year lie about Mommy hitting her?

Why does my 2 year old tell people that i abuse her when I dont? Her eye looks bruised so her daycare teacher asked her what happened. She replied," Mommy hit me with the marker". Teacheer asks, "where you two coloring?" Daughter responds, "No Mommy was made" OMG Im freaking out I dont hit my child, I dont even spank her and I defintely don't want her school thinking I do--- why does she do this? I feel like such crap and really just want to cry because I love my baby so much and this really hurts me :(.

mommatobe1

Asked by mommatobe1 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Uh, two year olds don't usually do this stuff....
    Anonymous

• OMG!!! I have no idea why. My mom once told me a funny story about my sister when she was around that age. She had fallen off her bike and got a mark of some sort on her face. My Grampy came over and asked her what had happened and with no hesitation, she told him "mommy hit me." .....lol. I am pretty sure my mom is telling the truth because she never laid a hand on any of us (6) as far as i can remember. Kids really do say the craziest things. She should grow out of it tho hun. If you talk to her about it and tell her why she shouldn't say things like that , it may help. Kids do understand a lot at that age, more than most people give them credit for. :)
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I was a nanny for a 2 year old and one day she said to me "mommy and daddy hit me all the time". This little girl is the most loved and spoiled litttle girl in the world and no one ever laid a finger on her, I checked for even slight red marks. Don't know why they do it but some do.
    Anonymous

• I would find out where she is getting this from. Are you and her dad together? IF not could he or his gf/wife be teaching her this? I would do my best to get to the bottom of it if it means talking to her dr about it. I would talk to her too and tell her that its not nice to tell stories/lie. Kids learn things from anything and if you have to watch out for what their involved in. She could have even heard it from a tv show that you were watching. Id call her dr and find out what to do and if he feels it normal GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• and my suggestions are really only if this is an ongoing thing.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Be on the look out for a little girl with a wild imagination. My oldest DD is 17 and when she was little she always told very wild and crazy stories. When she was 3, she came back from my SIL house with a busted lip..I asked what happened and she said aunt amanda hit her in the mouth with a belt buckle. She fell off the swing. When she was 8 she told her teacher that her newborn baby sister climbed on top of her dresser and tore the baby dolls head off. She also told alot of friends that she was from Egypt, adopted, had a pet snake that her daddy killed cause it got out of the cage.. Yeah, so needless to say, she has had a very wild imagination since she was very young. I told my DD that she could write all of her stories down or tell them to friends and family but not to others cause well they wouldn't understand LOL.. Now she is bright, smart and very creative. Hang in there mom!!!! What I listed here is just a sample
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• really? i thought my son was the only one who did that, thank god! well not good that she's saying that....my son went to the Zoo with his father while me and my friend went out for some fun, this happned just the other day. they came back and when they got the the house my son ran up crying saying "Daddy hurt me!" and holding my leg, he had some weird mark on his arm that didnt look like he was hit. My Boyfriend eyes went all wide and looked at him like he was crazy "I wouldnt hit my son!" My boyfriend kept telling me, i kept yelling at him untill he told me that Jack fell and scrape himself getting out of th car. Jack started giggling and smiled up at me "im funny!" he told me, then hugged his father
    lindseylovesyou

Answer by lindseylovesyou at 7:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Are ya all kidding me? You really think a 2 year old cant come up with that all on her own? Where else is she going to get that excuse from?
    Anonymous

• for the record my child dint have a bruised or blackened eye but instead was dark from a lack of proper sleep over 4 days from a stiffiling cough and mucus. As a concerned mother, I don't want my child telling lies and I do know she has a very active imagination, I just worry that she may tell a lie and the person hearing it could react as a normal concerned person would be but in a way that is adverse to what would be best for my family and I as like I said I do not spank my child nor am I childish to throw things in front of her - I am an adult I do know how to control my anger. After a day of thinking how to approach my child about what she said, she has said that what she was was not true and giggled, I then had to have a stern talk with her about the negative affects of lying. Thank you for those who responded with empthy and have been in my shoes before unllike some other people.
    mommatobe1

Answer by mommatobe1 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009