my 9yrs old son shuts down in math class

Im worried of my son failing school class because he shuts down, can sit for hours in time out, but is happy at home and doesnt like me to scold him or talk to him not to bother sibilings, teachers are afraid that he will fail because of his shutting down attitude. I dont know anymore what to do with him or how to approach him. I could only talk to him nicely and remind him to do his paper work at school. Any thoughts that may be of help approaching him?

allie140

Asked by allie140 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I used to teach. When I had a student who "shut down" I would meet with him privately and ask what is going on. Sometimes kids and adult students have really easy to correct issues that they were just afraid to talk about. Ask him what is going on. Be very mature and candid with him. Whatever is causing this is a mature issue to him. Upset people don't like to be talked down to.

Speak with his teacher. Does he need to switch classrooms? Don't be afraid to ask for him ot be moved to a different class for math. You pay taxes. You decide.

If you choose to have a parent-teacher-student conference, tell him before you go in that you are on his team. That what ever he tells you about class, you'll believe it no matter what the teacher says.

If he's a 4th grader, that's the hardest year. ALL my teaching colleagues agree. Every school system. 4th grade is SOOO hard.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I also wonder if he could benefit from some sort of tutoring. Maybe this teachers' methods aren't working for him and someone else will give him just the little different perspective that he needs. I feel for you, my son totally lost his confidence in math and did poorly in it right through high school.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i have always had problems with math myself, i still do heck i failed algebra 3 times before i passed it in high school! some people just cant understand. kjrn79 is right though i think, maybe its just the way the teacher teaches, new teacher new perspective.
    Anonymous

• maybe he's not understanding my son did that and still does he has a learning disability in math and he shuts down in class he's also been diagnosed with CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) or maybe he needs his eyes checked talk with his teacher and have him do IEP testing
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My youngest would shut down during math class. It turned out to be that he was not understanding it. He needed a tutor to help back track where he got confused and relearn the math given.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009