How do you think?

So hubby and I got into a discussion the other night about how we think. I have a mental voice. I think in words, and I hear myself talking in my head. I have a hard time with mental pictures. I can't conjure up pictures easily, and when I do they are fuzzy and not well defined.

Hubby on the other hand has mental pictures. He only thinks in pictures, and doesn't have a mental voice at all. He can see words in his head, but not "hear" them.

So how about you? Do you have a mental voice?; mental pictures?; both?; or something different?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 7:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have the voice and very rarely the pictures. I've noticed this concerning math with me and my husband. When I try to do math in my head, the numbers do not stay there- like when I need to add two or more numbers, the one before it just disappears and I'm left with only the new number. It makes it impossible for me to to do it in my head. He on the other hand can so all these amazing math problems in his head because he can visualize them and they stay there.

I wonder if this is a man/woman thing...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• if i'm thinking something bad...like when i would think my ex would be out cheating on me i would have pictures. When i'm trying to figure something out i talk it through to myself a few times to make sure it makes sense.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I think in a voice too. I don't know how my husband thinks, but he is also very good at mental math.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I hear words and I used to see numbers and pictures easily. I never saw words. Then I started having migraines and for awhile I lost the ability to see numbers or pictures in my head at all. It was a huge loss. I can sometimes see pictures now but numbers are hard. I used to be GREAT at math and now not so much. I'm talking genius great at math and science. I was working on my doctorate in science when it happened.

I think the way people think is an area that needs more study.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• yeah. i too think in words.
    dani2780

Answer by dani2780 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• i hear words and see pictures. I used to think i was going crazy or something lol because i would kind of talk to myself- like say if i am washing dishes i will think thoughts like im talking to someone and it will help me figure problems im going through out- and other times i would think in pictures and words trying to picture different scenarios so i am prepared if any of them happen and if not at least they are somewhat entertaining lol

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I hear the mental voice. Sometimes the pictures just depends. But more often than not it's the voice.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I'm great with mental math, even though I can't picture the numbers. I have an excellent memory, and I just remember the number words, instead of the numbers, like two, instead of 2.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2009